Something Is Wrong With Malfoy

Harry's POV

Sitting in the Great Hall, I can't help but think back to what happened on the train.

First Draco Malfoy asked to sit in our compartment, and he was almost civil about it. That is, until Ron got all up in his face, that is when things started to go downhill. The next thing I knew, Malfoy doesn't deny having the Dark Mark, Ron calls him a monster, and he runs out of the compartment to go to the bathroom, which he never returned form. Weird.

After Malfoy left, his friends, Zabini and Parkinson, exchanged worried glances. They seemed to have a silent argument on whether or not to go after Malfoy, and apparently decided not to. I find that weird. If Ron or Hermione had run off, I definitely would have followed them, so why weren't they following Malfoy?

I don't quite know why I didn't say anything. I was just so tired. Tired of the drama, and the constant threat of Voldemort and his Death Eaters hanging over my head. I'm just so done with it all.

Suddenly, the tinging of a glass snaps me out of the thoughts. I look around, and find that the sorting ceremony has already finished.

Dumbledore stands up, getting everyone's attention, before he speaks. "Greetings everyone! Welcome first years, and welcome back to all others! I must remind first years that the Forbidden Forest is strictly, well, forbidden. As well-"

A lady, who looked like a large, pink toad, interrupted Dumbledore's speech.

"Thank you for those lovely words of welcome, Headmaster. Hello students, I am Professor Umbridge, your Defense Against The Dark Arts teacher. I have been sent from the Ministry to instruct you lucky students! I hope that we have a wonderful year!" With that, the pink toad, Umbridge, smiles sweetly, and sits back down, looking quite pleased with herself.

Dumbledore clears his throat, "Why thank you, professor. Now, I don't want to keep you all waiting any longer. Let the feast, begin!"

Dumbledore claps three times, and food appears all along the tables. Everyone immediately starts digging in, Ron most of all. Within seconds, Ron's plate was full of food, and he had already wolfed down two chicken wings.

"Honestly Ron! Don't you have manners?" Hermione asks, while grabbing herself some salad.

"Yesh," Ron replies, mouth full of chicken, "Me Mum woult let meh leve da house withoumt dem."

Hermione rolls her eyes, and turns to face me. "Harry, you should eat something. I assure you, the food is as wonderful as it always is."

I offer her a small smile, grabbing a treacle tart and a small portion of chicken. She smiles back, and goes back to arguing with Ron about his table manners.

I find my gaze traveling around the Great Hall, and settling on the Slytherin table. More specifically, Malfoy. He is staring at his empty plate, almost glaring at it, as Parkinson tries to talk to him. From the fact that Malfoy doesn't even lift his head, her efforts aren't working.

"Hey, Harry. What are you staring at?" Hermione asks, following my gaze to the Slytherin table, and looking at me confused.

"Malfoy," I answer truthfully, "Something seems off about him. He's not eating, and he doesn't seem as annoying and aggressive as before."

As Hermione nods her head thoughtfully, Ron bursts out.

"Of course he's different! He's a bloody Death Eater! With the Dark Mark! He's obviously up to something!" Ron practically yells, drawing some annoyed and confused looks from those sitting around us, who then immediately start whispering to the people next to them.

I stay silent after Ron's outburst, and instead look at Hermione, who is in deep thought. I can practically see the gears turning in her head. She gives me a look that clearly says, "I'll think on this," and returns to eating.

When I look back at the Slytherin table, I see Malfoy starting at me. His face is blank, and he seems startled when I meet his gaze. He looks away sharply, and I see Parkinson grab is arm reassuringly. What in Merlin's name is going on?

Soon, people start to trickle out of the Great Hall in small groups. I glace once more at the Slytherin table, only to see Malfoy leaving, almost in a rush. Looking at his plate, it seems as though he didn't eat at all. Taking all of this in, the only thing I can think of is that I have to talk to Hermione about this. Ron is to angry and spiteful to take the information seriously, he'll just want to use it against Malfoy. Prank him or something.

Once I arrive in the Gryffindor common room, I pull Hermione aside as Ron goes to unpack his trunk.

"Hermione, something is off about Malfoy and I don't like it," I say in a hushed tone so that no one will overhear the conversation.

"The only options that I see are that something either happened during the summer, or he's up to something and trying to fly under the radar," Hermione explains, and I nod.

"I just want to keep an eye on him," I say, "But I don't want Ron to know about this. I think he'll overreact. If Malfoy is up to something, we would want the element of surprise, right?"

Hermione nods in agreement. "Good point. If you notice anything weird, tell me, but for now we should probably go unpack. See you!"

"Yeah, bye Hermione! Thank you!" I call after her, and start towards to Boy's Dormitory.

"There you are Harry!" Ron exclaims as I enter the dorm room, wandering over to my bunk, and start to unpack my things.

After about an hour, the are lights turned off, and everyone was falling asleep in their beds, but I lay awake, thinking. What is up with Malfoy?

No, I shouldn't waste my time thinking about that git. What has he ever done for me? Nothing! He's a bloody git! I shouldn't bother with him. It's not worth it.

However, despite my best attempts, the same things echos around my head like a chant.

Something is wrong with Malfoy.

Words: 1043