Mates

Harry's POV

It's almost Halloween, and Hermione has been quite secretive. Always running off, and never telling Ron or I where she is going. It's starting to get on my nerves.

I mean, she's our friend right? So why won't she tell us what's going on? I just don't get it.

I walk into the library with the latest History of Magic and potions homework, and start to head towards the comfy chairs. It's then that I hear voices.

"So, basically, the taste differs from person to person," A voice that sounded just like Hermione's is saying, "You guys got that?"

"Yes Professor Granger." Replies a sarcastic voice that sounds like Parkinson's. What on earth?

"Draco? You got that?" Hermione asks. What? Why is she talking to Malfoy? Calling him by his first name? I told her to investigate, not befriend!

Suddenly, Malfoy's head whips around, and he's staring right at my hiding place behind a bookshelf. "What are you doing here Potter?"

I step out form my hiding place, to find Hermione sighing, Parkinson glaring at me, and Malfoy eyeing me suspiciously, but obviously trying to avoid looking at my face.

"Err... hi?"

"Spying are you? That's rich!" Parkinson starts, but Hermione cuts her off with a look. What the heck?

"Umm.. what are you doing?" I ask, trying to make friendly conversation.

Parkinson opens her mouth, but Hermione cuts her off. "McGonagall asked us to do an extra credit project, that's all."

That sounds plausible enough, but I'm still not sure that I believe her, so I just nod.

"I just came her to study, I'll just go over there." I say, pointing towards a few chairs a couple of aisles over.

"You can just study with us here. We were just about to switch over to potions homework anyway." Hermione says, and points me to the chair next to her.

I settle down, and everyone starts on the potions homework. "Err... 'Mione? Do you know what Murtlap tentacle does?"

"Honestly Harry --"

"Allow me," Malfoy says, interrupting Hermione. He then continues to explain every bloody use of the damned Murtlap tentacle.

"Oookay... thanks for the lecture Malfoy, but I just needed a one sentence answer," I point out.

"Well that won't get you a very good mark. How exactly are you planning on passing your OWLs again?" He snaps back, and I realize that there is no winning this argument, so I just shrug and return to my work. Stupid Malfoy.

Draco's POV

Stupid Potter.

It's Friday night, and I missed last Saturday's appointment at the Hospital Wing because of detention, so Potter just had to show up.

Being friends with Granger has it's perks. The girl is like a library. You ask her anything and she'll tell you a paragraph long explanation. However, she's quite helpful when it comes to figuring out my situation.

Before Potter oh-so rudely interrupted, she was talking about a vampire's response to blood.

"Everyone's blood tastes different to every vampire." She had explained. "One vampire may find someone's blood the most disgusting thing ever, while another could find it amazing. Now, different factors come into play here. Vampires have mates, kind of like werewolves, as well as other animals. However, these mates work like a soulmate. When a vampire is turned, one person will peek their interest. That one person's blood will smell, and taste, irresistible. Overtime, the vampire will come to only crave their mate's blood, even if they have not bonded yet. Get it?"

Merlin, that girl knows a lot. Now, sitting with my favourite subject's homework around me, I can't focus. Potter's scent smells so good. It's frustrating. Wait. Oh shit.

Potter!? Oh Merlin, my mate is Potter isn't it! Oh I'm so dead. If my Father hears about this... Oh I'll be worse then disowned.

You see, even though I've been disowned, everyone still associates me with the Malfoys. So even though I've been thrown out, he'll still care. I'm so dead.

"Hey? You good Dray?" Pansy asks, and I look up at her, giving her the 'I'm so f*cking done with my life' look, and she nods sympathetically.

Then Potter asks what Murtlap Tentacles are used for, and I jump in, desperately wanting to distract my brain from my latest discovery.

After I'm done talking, I find myself staring at Potter's face. How his forever messy black hair falls in front of his eyes while he writes. How his glasses keep slipping down his face, and he constantly has to push them back up. How his bright green eyes move across the page. Oh Merlin, I'm crushing on Potter!

"I'm heading back to the common room," I say suddenly, and Pansy gives me a look.

"I'll go as well," Pansy says, and leads me out of the library.

Once away from Potter, my thoughts become less muddy. Pansy leads me back to the common room, before sitting me down on a couch and casting a privacy charm.

"What is it?" She asks, giving me the 'don't even try to lie to me' look.

"You know what Granger was saying earlier? About vampires having mates? And the mate smells really good?"

She nods, pressing me to go on.

"I think my mate is Potter."

She gasps, then seems to think about it, and starts to smirk. Then a laugh bubbles out of her mouth.

"Hey! This is serious!" I complain. "So many things could go wrong!"

"I know! I know! It's just, after all these years, its just funny," She explains, giggling again.

"Yeah, whatever. What am I going to do Pansy!" I asks, grabbing her arm. "What if my Father finds out? What if he rejects me? Oh, Pansy!"

Pansy pulls me into a hug. "Hey, you'll be just fine. I won't let anything bag happen to you while I'm here. If Potter hurts you, he'll have to deal with me. And you Father? I know just the hex to use."

"Yeah... thanks Pansy," I say, returning the hug.

"That's what friends are for! Now, off to bed. You should get some rest," She orders, lifting the privacy charms.

"Yes Mother," I reply sarcastically, and head off to bed.

F*cking Potter! Mates? Why him?

Words: 1035