Not The Bad Guy

Draco's POV

Christmas break soon came.

Due to not being allowed out of my display cage, I'm staying at Hogwarts. Maybe it's a good thing that it's break? There are less people to look at me, and maybe Umbitch will turn a blind eye. Probably not.

The sickly blue veins have reached my elbows and knees, proof of my lack of blood. The headaches have gotten progressively worse, causing thinking properly to prove a more difficult task.

One question, however, keeps circling my brain. Where is Dumbledore? Surely he's not allowing me to be locked up like an animal at the circus, right? I know that he's never liked me, but isn't this a bit much.

Although at this point Umbridge might as well be headmaster, Dumbledore is still in the building. I definitely would have heard if he was removed.

One good thing about being in the Hospital Wing, is that you get to hear a fair bit of gossip. Like how Granger and Potter aren't talking anymore, or how there is a secret club teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts. It's interesting how they think I can't hear them, as though the walls are meant to keep out any sound.

However, people in the Hospital Wing also tend to taunt me. Honestly, I can't blame them. I've been an awful person, there is no doubt about that. Sometimes their words hit a bit close to home, but I keep my mask of indifference.

Pansy even tried to injure herself to get into the Hospital Wing to see me, but it wasn't long before Umbitch came in and took her away, promising a detention. It's touching that she tried, I'm not quite sure why. I'm a monster, like everyone says. I don't deserve friends like her, I don't deserve to be here.

Maybe it's the lack of sustenance that makes my mind fuzzy, unable to focus. Perhaps it's my will to live, slowly dying with every insult. Words on pages swim, but the homework keeps pilling up. Potions isn't too bad, it's easy enough, it's DADA that's the real pain is the neck. Paper after paper, assignment after assignment.

Sometimes I let my mind wander. I wish of a different life, a different name, a different legacy. I am caged, like the wild animal I am.

The longer I'm alone, the more my control slips. My walls of lies and indifference slowly crumble down, leaving only my hunger, and my thoughts.

Then, somehow, my mind always wanders towards Potter. Harry f*cking Potter. With his beautiful green eyes and forever messy raven hair. The way that his glasses sit slightly off center on his nose. Then the vampire in me thinks about how amazing he smells. Merlin, I'm messed up.

It just had to be Potter, didn't it? Just to mess with me. Karma I suppose.

"Mr. Malfoy?" A woman calls, and I look up from my thoughts to see Madam Pomfrey.

"Yes ma'am?"

"News of the third year you supposedly attacked is back," Madam Pomfrey starts, and I nod to let her know that I'm listening, "It turns out it was a snake bite, not you."

I nod, for I had already figured as much. I knew it wasn't me, at least that I knew of. Unless I had blacked out somehow. It reassured me to know that it definitely wasn't me.

"This means that they can't send you to Askaban," The healer explains, and my eyes widen, "They don't have any proof that you did anything wrong."

I breath a sigh of relief, and I feel a small weight lift off my shoulders. They can't send me to Askaban!

"That is," Madame Pomfrey continues, "Unless you mess up. The Ministry doesn't like that you are here, but they can't send you off with no reason. They will jump at any opportunity to send you off."