Don't Break My Heart

Harry's POV

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't purposely avoiding almost everyone.

Ron and I have walked to class together, but I haven't even been able to look at Hermione. When I say that in my head, it sounds stupid, like I'm running away from my problems. I guess in a way I am.

Then I remember that they lied to me. Thought that I didn't need to know that Dr-Malfoy didn't love me because of me, but because I'm useful to him. I should have known, he's a Slytherin. Slytherins are cunning and resourceful, of course he put himself before me.

To her credit, Hermione has attempted to talk to me several times over the past week. I just can't face her. I have nothing to say. They lied to me. She chose him over me.

Some would call me a fool, Pansy certainly has. Multiple times in fact. Why should I listen to her? She's D-Malfoy's friend. She's only looking out for him.

"Mate?" Ron starts as we walk aimlessly through the corridors.

"Yeah?"

"Can we study tonight?" He asks, startling me. Ron Weasley is asking to study? Asking? What kind of dream is this?

He must have noticed the bewildered look on my face, because he burst out laughing.

"Oh come on, Harry! Is me wanting to study that much of a shock?"

"Yes!" I say defensively.

"I'm serious! The transfiguration paper is due tomorrow and I haven't started!"

"Fine," I huff, "but why the Room of Requirement?"

"The library is going to be crowded," he answers, which is very unlike him, but I decide to go along with it.

"Sure, whatever you say."

"Awesome!"

They make their way to the Room of Requirement, sneaking in. They settle down on a couch that the room provided, and began to set out their work.

The room seemed eerily quiet. I mean, it's normally quiet, but something seemed off.

I glance over at Ron to see if he was having the same odd feelings, but found him already scribble something down on a piece of parchment, his tongue pinched between his teeth from the effort.

I shrug off the feeling. Calm down. You're just being paranoid.

We stayed like that for around half an hour, before Ron throws his work down with a grunt.

"I'm going to the bathroom," he announces, "I'll be back in a bit."

"Oh. Yeah, sure thing," I reply, barely looking up from my work.

I hear the door close, and the room falls into a deadly silence. Everything seemed off, and I got a sinking feeling in my gut.

Nothing happened for several minutes, but suddenly I hear movement from my left.

I nearly give myself whiplash at how fast I turn my head.

Draco Malfoy

He's just standing there! Where did he come from? Was this set up!

"Err.... hi?" Malfoy starts, shifting his weight from foot to foot nervously.

"What the hell!" I shout, startling the vampire, causing him to take an abrupt step back. After all this all he says is hi?

"L-let me explain-" Malfoy says, holding his hands up in surrender.

"I have nothing to say to you!" I growl. "You lied to me! I thought you actually loved me! How could I have been so stupid as to trust a no-good, self-serving Slytherin!"

"P-please! I-I can explain!" The vampire pleas desperately. Fine. Let's hear his excuse.

Taking my silence as permission to continue, Malfoy moves over to the couch to my left. He sits down, at first making no movement aside from the fidgeting of his hands. Then, he speaks.

"It was a shock at first," he starts softly, "I'd never thought that this is where I'd end up. When I was a child, I'd dream of an important Ministry job, just like my father. Come to think of it, I wanted to be just like my father. He was a hero, my idol. It never occurred to me that I was just another chess piece in his grand scheme."

"Then the Dark Lord wanted to give me the Dark Mark, which father immediately agreed on," he continues, chuckling darkly, "I, obviously didn't want to Dark Mark. At the time I was all for Death Eaters, but I was told I wouldn't have to take the Mark. Taking the Mark is a point of no return. If the Dark Lord looses, I won't have a future. So, I said no. Said that I'd rather be punished then take the Dark Mark. In hindsight, I should've just taken it. I'm in the same position anyway. No one wants to hang out with a vampire."

"Then I returned to Hogwarts. Everything was fine, until I started to notice something odd," he goes on, "You. Whenever you were in the room I couldn't think. It was driving me nuts. Then I remembered Hermione saying something about Vampire mates, and it just sorta clicked."

"At first I freaked out. I never thought that Harry Potter would help me! After what I've done over the past few years? I honestly thought I was as good as dead. Still, Pansy made me stay hopeful. However, once Umbridge cut off my blood supply, I grew weak. Since you were in the vicinity, my body began to only be able to take your blood."

"I, well, starved myself, but I assume you know that. When you found me in the bathroom that day, I wasn't in a good place. You barged in on me, and practically my worst fear came true. I thought that I was getting expelled, but instead I was brought to the Hospital Wing, and put in a glass cage. After so long without blood, my body shut off, and I passed out."

"Of course, you know that already," he rambles, "Once you decided to help me, and I was freed, we began to talk more. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't always found you attractive. At the time I liked to suppress that feeling. A Malfoy can't be gay. A Malfoy can't like Harry Potter. Not that I wanted to either."

"When you kissed me, it was like I'd found my other half," he admits, smiling sadly to himself, "You asked me if it was real? Merlin, Harry, I'd never felt more sure of anything in my life."

"And I know you hate me. I lied to you, withheld vital information. I just- I was scared that, well, this would happen." he sighs, "You'd find out, take it the wrong way, and hate my guts because of it. I-I'm so sorry Harry. If you want to pursue a purely professional relationship with me, that would be fine. It would break my heart, but I'd take it. I-if you never want to see me again, then I'll figure something out. I'll be fine. I, just, I'm sorry."

I sit there speechless. This is the annoying, selfish, Slytherin, who turned into a vampire, and played with my heart just so that he'd stay alive, right? But, if what he said is true, do I look like the bad guy? Should I believe him?

Draco clearly takes my silence the wrong way, and begins to stand solemnly. "Sorry, I'll just-"

I grab his arm, cutting him off and causing him to turn to face me. We stay there in silence as I figure out what to say.

"Sit," I say, and he returns to his seat, "If what you're saying is true, then I'm sorry as well."

He looks up at me, our gaze meeting. His eyes glimmer with hope.

"I probably overreacted," I admit, "I thought that everything was fake. Like you went back to the old Draco Malfoy, who was selfish and arrogant. I-I'm sorry to."

"A-are we okay then?" Draco asks hesitantly.

"Yeah," I smile, "I'd say we're okay."

Draco tackles me with a hug. "Thank you, thank you , thank you!"

Please don't break my heart.

Words: 1339