十二

" Welcome!" Everyone in Anteiku greeted as Kaneki held the cup's handle, the other hand holding one of Takatsuki Sen's books. Laughter and happiness filled the atmosphere and the male looked at them one by one, smiling. The staff's door opened, revealing the one and only.

" Manger," Kaneki smiled as he continued to beam towards the manager wholeheartedly.

" Kaneki? Kaneki! What are you spacing out for? Are you even listening?" the blonde, who had a headphone surrounding his neck, asked Kaneki.

" Hide.."

" Who's the lucky girl? The cutie you were talking about? Come on, just tell me already! Oh? It's gotta be her, right?" Hide whispered towards Kaneki's ear as he pointed out to a female who was sitting behind the ravenette. When she was about to look at him, she disappeared, along with the others. Knowing this, Kaneki finally screamed out his best friend's name.

" Hide!"

He disappeared to only return to the reality he was in. Blood dripped to the brown, wooden floor as Kaneki held his stomach and winced in pain.

" Coffee is surprisingly hard to make, isn't it?" a male exclaimed as he walked towards the white-haired male, carrying two mugs of coffee. The light finally beamed towards their direction and Kaneki finally saw the male. The blonde flashed him a friendly smile and made eye contact with him," Yo, Kaneki."

" Hide.." Kaneki gasped.

They continued to stay in that position, not until realization has finally hit the ghoul. He quickly slammed his eye that was ghoul-like. He started to whimper, and Hide stared at him sadly before he stared at the floor.

" Kaneki. I knew," Kaneki then gasped slowly as he stopped and listened, " Yeah. I knew."

***

( b/n ) was walking in the alleyway, lifelessly. He cursed under his breath several times as his hatred towards the CCG grew stronger. Suddenly, he collapsed to the floor and started punching the snow, grunting whenever his fist made contact with the ground.

" Damn it, damn it, damn it, damn it! Fuck this cursed world! Goddammit!"

( Y/n ) stared at his brother from above sadly, knowing the current situation he was facing now. She didn't want to come down though. She did want to comfort her brother who was dejected but then again, what can someone as hopeless as her do?

' I guess we're going to be even soon, brother.'

***

" It's plain. I should have let it sit a little longer," Hide said honestly as he took a sip. Once he tried out the drink, his face turned sour,
" Sorry, Kaneki. This one isn't any better."

On the other hand, Kaneki was still covering his eye, ashamed and embarrassed for keeping the truth from him.

" I guess it doesn't come that easily, huh? Oh, Kaneki, do you remember? That time Nishio-senpai beat the crap out of me? To be honest, I thought I was a goner. I tried playing dead to shake him off, but that guy didn't let up. Well, it did help me some. Kaneki.. Thanks for giving it your all trying to save me back then."

Kaneki finally accepted the fact that his best friend knew that he was a ghoul for a long period and so, he lowered down his hand.

-

" Thinking back on everyone in Anteiku. I really admired how everyone seemed to be so full of life. You were part of that, too. It kind of felt like I was the only one being left out. So I decided to help out however I could. But with the way things turned out, I didn't do a very good job on my own, huh?" Hide admitted, and Kaneki looked down with a quite guilty-looking face, " Kaneki, don't shoulder the burden all by yourself. You've always done that for others."