17.

"I know you will come, boy. I was waiting for you"

Jungkook glared at him, eyes in rage as he hold himself from punching the man in front of him. The person who mad make his family miserable and he almost lost his wife. Lee Haejin smiling face was like mocking him, but he try no to kill him now as G6 will take him sooner or later. Before that, he wanted to know why did he done that? He was a successful jeweler, with a beautiful niece and everyone respect him. Why did he have to betray the country he is living in?

He had come straight away to his house from the chapel and don't even bother to knock the door. He stormed in as soon as the door was opened and surprisingly Lee Haejin was with his pipe and an old book at his hand. It was like he was expecting him to come. He didn't waste any time and took a sit a the nearest couch, expecting him to curse at his action but nothing came out from Haejin's mouth.

"If you were a little bit late, I will have run away with Haewon and Jaeun from here. Seeing how you only come alone, looks like my niece is really in love with you, Jungkook"

"Stop the crap. Even if she run away with you, I will still find her"

The man laughed at his answer before putting away the book and his pipe before letting out a sigh. His eyes were thrown to the window where he can see his small garden and a swing, a place where Haewon will spend most of her time there when she was a small little girl. Even when she dated Jungkook, that garden had witnessed all of the couple act from a simple kiss to something rendezvous which Haejin will often looked away in disgust. He was never fond of the soldier, but Haewon really likes him to the point she tried to showcase all the good side Jungkook have. Which of course it was a failure.

"You don't understand, Jungkook. My niece, who is now like my own daughter loves you so much, even when she knew I'll be dead soon. Do you think she will run away with me? Even if she did come to meet me, she won't go. She was loyal to a stupid soldier like you, when I was the one who helped her to survive"

"What are you talking about?"

"The treason, codes and the German's. Everything was for her. If it wasn't because of them, she won't be the Haewon you met two years ago. She will be dirty, a prostitute or some slave at any whitemen house or far more worse, dead by the age of sixteen. My money and my work can't protect her from those whitemen who hated foreigners like us, so I have to seek from other help"

This time, Haejin slowly looked at him with a soft smile, one he never gave to Jungkook. It was a fatherly smile that he only gave to Haewon. It hit Haejin that he won't be able to smile at her anymore, seeing how happy she is with Jaeun and the lovestruck gaze she always have towards Jungkook. It saddened him how he won't see those things anymore, and for once he wanted to see his niece so dearly he was thinking about begging to the soldier to let him meet her. But now, Haejin just want to have a small talk with Jungkook before he was caught and time is running out.

"You don't have to know what I shared, Jungkook. G6 will dig that out from me, but for now all I could ask for you is to never hurt her. I hated you because your work means that you might die anytime and leave her alone. She loves you so much, imagine what will happen if you die suddenly? She is like my daughter, Jeon. I love her and cared for her so much that I was willing to trade information with the German's for her safety. She got to enter those schools because of the bribe those German's gave to the school principal, had a good education and now a beautiful woman. She wasn't some whore because there is always someone who is looking after her out there."

Jungkook eyes softened, and the anger and rage he had before for him vanish to the thin air. Lee Haejin did it to protect her, and he done a very good job on that. He was right, it was not everyday a foreigner survived this war, some or them ended up working at mine or be thrown to the war, like him. But for the women, it's better to be dead than living a life in hell. With the thought of Haewon living in that kind of situation, he knew why Haejin did it. It was for her, and the fact that he hated him so much because he was afraid his niece wasn't ready to be apart from her.

"She's my everything. Before she married you, she's my sweet Haewon. She was Lee Haewon. Everything I did was for her. When you took her away from me slowly, I wished that it was just a dream. But now , I was glad it was you who married her, my niece, my daughter and my life. I might die later, but at least I lived to the day she had a family, a man to take care of her  and a life she dreamt to have before. I stop giving those codes when you married her, but those German's never had enough. And it was my fault Mister Jones died and to stop this, I need to be dead too"

Suddenly, a knock was heard by the door and the old man smile. From the hole below the door, he guessed there were several men outside and waiting to take him. Jungkook was still processing everything he just said and the old man took his hand in his, hold it dearly to which Jungkook got more speechless than before.

"Jeon Jungkook, I'm finally letting go of her to you and don't hurt her. Make her the happiest woman in the world, and tell her that I loved her so much, I have no regrets the day I took her away from her family. Tell her, that her strict uncle thought her as his own daughter, and will always be that way. And for you young man, thank you for loving her, accepting her and protect her. I'm no longer doubting you, Jungkook"

With his last words, he stood up and walked to the door, leaving the soldier tongue-tied. His heart dropped when he heard how harsh those men took the old man out, but Jungkook did nothing. He knew Haejin wouldn't like him to save him now, it was the best he remain seated until they went away. It was then he realised that everything Haejin did had his own reason, and it was Haewon.

Jungkook and Haejin life revolves around her, and both men are the same. They only had her, while Haewon have them.

Now, she only have him and he only have her in his life.