18.

"Mrs. Jeon? Your husband is on the phone"

Haewon turned her back to the woman at the phone placed at the table before mouthing tell him to wait and continue bandaging the injured hand of the soldier. He is young man in his twenties, but sadly the war had burned half of his body leaving him with ugly scars permanent at his body. After making sure he was comfortable enough, the man let out a soft thank you and she smiled warmly before walking to the phone.

She placed at her ear, smile getting bigger when he heard some men shouted about him missing his wife and the Jeon cursed which cause them to laugh. It was day two of her stay at the chapel, and Jungkook couldn't call her due to him busy guarding the post with his changing shift. It was a normal work for a low rank soldier, a work that Jungkook had left even before he married her.

"Jungkook?"

"Fuck- shut up she's on the phone! Sweetheart how was your day?"

"Damn it, sir Jeon! You are being amazingly soft right now!"

"He cursed me last night for sleeping at the post! Is he the same person?"

"Mrs Jeon! You are one lucky woman!"

"Shit, I should have called you using the phone booth outside. "

"It's okay. They seem to treat you nice. At least I know you're not stressed"

He chuckled before humming in agreement, a thing that Haewon miss so much when they were together. He had a habit to always hum at everything, one that she couldn't go unnoticed. It hit her how she miss him so much to the point her tears well up, but the woman tried to not make it obvious so she blinked her eyes several times before she speak.

"Did you meet my uncle?"

"Yes I did. Before they took him away. How's Jaeun?"

She knew he was trying to change the topic and she let him go, hoping that she can at least have a glimpse of her uncle before the execution. Glancing at the calm surrounding of the chapel, she spotted a nun, Miss Watson was taking care of her daughter while she is helping the nurse here. Jaeun giggles warm her heart but the emptiness was still there.

If only Jungkook was here.

"She's smiling like as always, like her father everytime. When are you coming for a visit? We miss you"

"More like you miss me, Mrs. Jeon. Was my kiss that day is not enough?"

"You are frustratingly annoying, Jungkook. Now hang up, I need to go back to work"

He laughed at his wife sulking, before saying his goodbye. It was a short call, and she knew it was hard for him to have long calls with her. They had short breaks and rules to follow, so Jungkook couldn't take the risk to break any. It was far more better when he was in an a mission, he couldn't even called nor send him a letter. All she could do was hoping him to be safe. Her friends did ask her why did she choose to marry someone who cared for his work more than his family, but she smiled and laughed it off.

Because Jungkook was the only man who could make her heart flutter for small actions and blushed furiously at his words.

"Your uncle surely hate me. Did I say something wrong before?"

They were at his uncle garden, laying down at the grass while watching the dark sky together. Haewon had invited the soldier to have a dinner with them for her to introduce Jungkook to her uncle. At first everything was normal, her uncle was not a talkative person so he only nodded when Haewon said Jungkook is someone she wanted to show to him. It was when Jungkook was asked what was his work and he said soldier that the man eyes got cold, and he stopped cutting the piece of meat. Instead, he put down his utensils and drank his wine before letting out a insincere smile.