30.

He took a sit beside the boy, and handed him a hot chocolate which he took it with a small 'thank you, sir'. They were sitting close to the camp fire, some of them were talking, joking around and played some games between them. Jungkook eyes went everywhere, reminiscing back when he was like them, had no feelings about the war. It was just another fight for them.

"I didn't get to ask you why you are here though. You are good at hiding in the train"

Vante body jerked up at the cold tone of the man, and turned his head towards him. His eyes were emotionless, different from Vante curious eyes. The boy had knew Jungkook a long time, this was the first time he get to sit him with, having a conversation. More like interrogation.

"I told her you will protect me. That's why she gave up and let me in. But actually, I really wanted to be in the army"

"Why? You saw the war itself, why would you sacrifice for it? "

"Because the war is the only way to help my mother live"

Jungkook eyebrow creased. Vante saw the confusion in his eyes and he smiled before sipping his hot choco and put it down back. It was a tough decision, but he had planned it well. In Vante mind, he knew this was the right thing.

"If we win, and I'm still alive, we get a big amount of money and my mother can lived a nice life after the war ended. And if I'm dead, the military will pay her as an act of my courage to fight in the war. Either of those two option, she will have a nice life. Working at the postal service is not enough for us, so I had to volunteer in the war"

His eyes looked back at the elder, his eyes were back to unreadable. He knew Jungkook won't get mad, he wasn't the type to question one decision. But maybe Vante thought he will be mad if he used his name at his mother. He wasn't that sure if Jungkook will be joining the war at first, but his guts tell him that the man will be in it. And he was right, the moment he saw Jungkook and Haewon walk hand in hand to the entrance.

At that time, he saw how the lieutenant cared for his wife dearly. His eyes keep glancing on her whenever she looked away, his gaze full of love when they talked and the smile Jungkook rarely give to someone. Vante was young, but he had saw those act when his mother send his father to the war. He never came back though, but his mother never stopped hoping. It was like a deja vu seeing how the pair resemble much of his parents when he was young.

"How about you sir? What will you think after we finished our war? What will you do?"

"A lot. But for now, all I need is to stay alive"

"You will sir. It will be a pity for a mademoiselle to be a widow. "

Jungkook smirk before looking back to sky. It was pitch black, but stars were everywhere. He remembered how he was stargazing with her at her garden, which things moved to a hot but short session. Tommorow they will started to look at the border, and Jungkook will be leading the team. The border only needed to be supervise, but if they saw any suspicious movement, then their real game will start at that moment.

They had a lot of teams and squad, all lead by different leaders. Jungkook was at the highest rank,but he wanted to be put in the most dangerous situation. He wasn't used to be in simple fight, he was a killing machine before. Every war he entered only smelled death and blood, and hatred was only in his body. Now, even though he had changed , those cold eyes and emotionless heart was still there deep down inside of his heart.

The rough and young Jungkook is still there, and he knew it will come out as soon as he faced their enemy.

Vante and the other young boys will be put back, as they had no or less experience in fighting in the battlefield. So the chances of him to live was higher than other men here. Jungkook didn't say anything though, he was relieved that the boy do not have to see cruel and scary things out there. They were recruited because of their lack of men, but Jungkook knew they can win it. It has always been like that, just the enemy couldn't accept defeat.

"Hey Jungkook!"

They looked at the source of voice and saw Frank, all smiling with a pipe in a hand. Vante stood up and saluted him and Frank smiled before eyes patting his shoulder.

"At ease young boy. I just want to have a small talk with him. Go and have some rest"

"Yes sir"

He went at ease and walked away from them, leaving Jungkook and Frank to talk. He took the sit Vante left for him and eyes settled down at the fire.

"At the end, you end up coming here"

"Couldn't be helped, I know you can't do anything about it"

"I tried,but G6 was too hard to persuade, and I couldn't risk myself to bribe them. The only chance I had was to let your wife been taken by the church. "

"Then why are you here?"

He smiled before looking at the men talking and laughing by themselves. They were having fun, it wasn't depressed as the others thought.

"To keep you company, it will be less boring with me"

He snorted and grabbed a gin beside him before gulping it. The night was calm, but the real deal will started tommorow night and Jungkook knew he need to be prepared for anything this time. They wanted to put the end of this war, and free themselves from the long time grievance they had experienced since they were born. Every man here had its own wish to stay alive, to start a new chapter of their life and to stay forever with their loved ones. Jungkook wanted that, and is still waiting for that time to come.

The pendant she had gave him was now in his palm, shining as it's still new and Jungkook opened it. She was right, on the left was a picture of the three of them, Haewon smiled at Jaeun who seems to be in dazed at what is happening and Jungkook soft stares at his family. At the right , it was a picture of them taken the day of their wedding, his wide smile and her grin while looking at each other, a small bouquet of roses in her hand.

Haewon was indeed someone Jungkook never imagined he will get marry with, but he was glad he did.