Chapter 14: Sister-zoned

"Kumbaya..." I lazily sang, my head resting on my palm, which was supported by my knee, which was further supported by my leg resting on the wooden log.

Initially, I had been extremely afraid of all the insects presumably lingering on the log, because that's nature for you (ta-da!), but then V had carelessly laid down on the one laying opposite to it, much larger than mine.

I had asked him, "Look at you being so careless! Don't you care for me?"

And he had simply replied with, "Nu-uh. Get yourself comfortable on the other one, if you wish."

With that, he had closed his eyes and probably drifted off to slumber, but I had stayed wide awake in case any wild bear or a grass-hopper came tumbling at us and had us for its dinner.

So at the moment, I was sitting, shooing away the flies off me, and whispering to them time to time, "Go suck that lazy weirdo's blood!"

The flies were still on me.

Why does nobody listen to me?

Deciding that since the killer was asleep, I could run away without him knowing, and so I stepped lightly on the ground, my feet grazing over the dried leaves and making a crinkling sound.

"Where do you think you are going?" I heard his raspy voice speak to me, and I turned back around.

"N-Nowhere," I replied in a shaky voice.

"Oh really?" he did a crunch as he rose from his position, now sitting on the log. I rummaged through my overly-stuffed mind for an excuse.

"I, um, I... uh, was looking for another log, because mine is too short," I spoke, and he thought for a moment.

Finally, V sighed, and then shifted, patting on the space beside him, and I hesitantly stepped forward, sitting beside him, slowly shifting away.

"Are you finally scared of me?" he smirked at me, and I scoffed.

"Not scared, but, like, you could kill me without anyone knowing that you did," I blurted out, and his smirk washed off.

"Struck a chord?" I teased, and he looked at me, whispering, "Are you expecting a sob-story?"

"Kinda."

"Well, wait for it," he yawned, getting comfortable on his spot, and I did too, as I stretched my legs and yawned as well.

"Bruh, yawns are contagious," I said matter-of-factly, and he yawned.

I yawned as well, seeing him yawn.

He yawned again, having witnessed me yawn.

"Don't yawn near me!" I blocked his face with my hands, and he moved my hands away.

"You were literally squishing my nose," he spoke, and I giggled.

"You know what? You're like my sister," he said, and I pouted.

"So have I been sister-zoned? Kudos, Mae!" I folded my arms against my chest, and he fumbled with his words.

"N-No, not like that- I mean, yeah but- of course not- ugh!" he got aggravated, "I just wanted to say that you did the stuff she used to do."

"Oh... like what?"

"Being unusually weird at all times," he smiled as he spoke, and goddammit, his boxy smile was worth every one of the times I had failed in Chemistry.

"You used to like it?" I asked him, and within a millisecond, he underwent a 180-degree change of emotions.

"Yeah! She used to do weird stuff as you do! Like, for real, you too could've been best friends!" he spoke excitedly with hand motions, and a huge smile on his face, which seemed new to me.

"Your smile is cute," I blurted out.

Seriously, Maera, have control over your mouth. Like, for real.

V blushed, "U-Um, thanks, I guess?"

"Not used to compliments?"

"Not really."

"You'll get used to them, hehe."