Ashley

Kai stepped back, "A-Ashley?" He stared at her. Ashley jumped back up and kicked him, running away. "No!" Misako yelled, "Kai what was that?" She scolded, running after her. Kai shook his head, "That was Ashley..." He murmured, running off again. Never mind that, the mission was more important.

When he arrived, Misako had Ashley pinned down on the ground. "Let me go!" She shouted angrily. Kai stared at her, her voice sounded different. He stood down and tied her up with some rope. Misako removed all her sashes until she was left with just blue around her waist. "I already recorded her voice." She reported. Kai nodded, he pushed Ashley against a tree and tied her around it. She glared at him, "I swear you'll pay!" She growled, struggling in the ropes she was held in. "I'm sorry Ashley." He said sadly, turning away. "How do you know my name?" She demanded. Kai stared at her, "You don't remember me?". Ashley narrowed her eyes, "You're the fire ninja. And that's all I know and care about." Kai turned himself away from her, a tear running down his face as he forced himself away from her. "You know her?" Misako asked. Kai nodded, "She was from my village."

//flashback to Kai when he's 7.//

Kai jumped around his father excitedly. "Dad! Teach me how to forge a sword!" He yelled excitedly. His father looked at him and patted him on the head gently. "When you're slightly older, I will." Kai pouted, "But dad I'm seven! I'm old enough!" He insisted. His father shook his head, "It's still too complex for you. What if you get hurt?" Kai rubbed his hand against the back of his neck and shrugged. "Exactly," his father nodded, "Now go outside and play with Nya and Ashley." Kai groaned. "But they're so girly!" His father chuckled. "Go on Kai." Kai dragged his feet out of the blacksmith shop reluctantly. Nya and Ashley were outside chasing each other. "Em..." Kai shuffled his feet, "Can I play?" Ashley stared at Kai with his eyes narrowed, "You're too rough!" She shouted. Kai rolled his eyes, "Thought so." He was about to go back to the blacksmith when Ashley spoke; "But you can play with us." She smiled. Kai's face lit up and he ran back to where the two girls were playing.

"I'm gonna catch you!" Kai shouted gleefully. He ran after a giggling Ashley as she tried to get away from him. Suddenly, Kai stepped on the back of Ashley's shoe and she fell forward with a sickening thud. Kai stopped dead, as he avoided colliding into her. Ashley had fallen down hard on her stomach, her smile had disappeared as tears welled up in her eyes. Sitting up, she rubbed her stomach and winced. She turned her arm and found a scratch there. Fresh red blood began to ooze out of it. Kai panicked when he saw the cut, his heart lurched with guilt and he ran toward to hug Ashley. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry..." He repeated over and over again until his sister had to drag him off her. "Go do something useful and get her a bandage or something!" Nya scolded. Kai ran into the shop and pulled his father's sleeves, "Daddy, Ashley fell down and she's bleeding!" Seeing how stressed out his son was, Kai's father put down what he was crafting and walked to the back of the shop. He pulled out a red box with a white cross on it and handed it to Kai. "If you want to learn something new, learn how to help someone wounded." His father told him. Kai nodded before hurrying out the shop to where Ashley and Nya were. Ashley was sitting on a rock staring miserably at her cut. Kai set the box down and Nya and him began to help Ashley clean up her wound. "Does it still hurt?" Nya asked. Ashley nodded, "Well only a little bit," she muttered quietly. "I'm sorry." Kai said, biting his lip, feeling all guilty again. Ashley smiled at him cheerfully, "But I'm okay, I can still play!" Nya's face lit up, "Let's go!" Kai shuffled his feet as he watched the two girls run off. He sat on the rock Ashley had been sitting on and decided he had better off been better if he hadn't joined the girls in the first place. "Hey Kai, wanna join?" Ashley asked. Kai looked up, shock written all over his face. His friend laughed, "Just because you accidentally got me a cut doesn't mean I'm angry with you!" Kai smiled and stood up to run after them.

//Right after the pilot episodes//

Kai stared at his golden sword of fire, he rested it inside his case and looked around him. He had packed everything in his bag and all he needed to do now was leave. Kai sighed, he never thought he'd ever leave the simple life of a blacksmith and stay on top of a mountain in a monastery with ninjas and a sensei. He glanced up at a family photo of Nya, his father and him. They looked so young and his father...would he had approved of him being a ninja? He stared at the picture for a moment longer before picking up his things to leave. He climbed onto his fire dragon and strapped on. "Let's go flame." He patted his dragon on its head. It gave a mighty roar before lifting off the ground. Kai looked down at the view of his village, it was amazing! "Kai!" He heard a voice of a female shouting out to him above the beating of the dragon's wings. "Kai down here!" She shouted again. Kai peered over his side and spotted a blonde haired girl waving at him. He pulled at the reigns and forced Flame to veer from course and swoop back down to the ground. As he drew closer, he saw an image of Ashley. Slipping off his dragon, he pulled his mask off. "You're leaving?" Ashley asked sadly. Kai nodded, "Sorry Ash. Duty calls." Ashley nodded. "We'll miss you." Kai gave his sisterly friend a tight hug before jumping back onto his dragon again. "Stay safe Kai. Oh and come visit soon! Thanks for saving the world." Ashley said. Kai chuckled, "I didn't do it alone." Ashley smiled, "You can always come back and play catch with Nya and I." Kai felt his eyes water at the thought of his days as a little kid, with his father, his sister, his life as any other. Simple with hardly any clue of what the big world was like. "I'll definitely come back one day!" He shouted to Ashley as Flame began lifting them off once again. "Bye Kai!" She shouted back.
//flashback over//

Kai shook his head, "No, the mission is more important." He told himself out loud. As long as he didn't need to harm Ashley, he'd be fine. Without looking back at Ashley, he raced off with Misako by his side hoping that everything would be worth it.