A Stop in Oxford

Before you read this story, just know that I do not own His Dark Materials. Only my OC. Please let me know what you think as I proceed with this story and feel free to send over any ideas. 

Name: (Y/N Scoresby) (Your Name, Scoresby)

Daemon: Aster 

Hair: (dark brown) to match Lee's 

Eyes: (Your mother's eyes) 

Clothing: similar to lee's, long leather coat, leather trousers, cotton shirt with a woolly gloves and a scarf, 

Possessions: necklace with a pendent with a silver winged figure engraved on the front from mother, journal, satchel, photos, photo of unknown mother and child, silver ring with a blue jewel

(Y/N P.O.V) 

I stared down at the land below, feeling the wind in my hair, the feeling of freedom flowing through my nostrils and into my lungs. It was exciting. 

"Still loving the sight Aster?" You asked your daemon in his fox form. 

"Not as much as you (Y/N)" 

"I'm so excited to meet dad's bear friend. What do you think Iorek Byrnison will be like?"

"Well, he's an armoured bear for starters. An outcast to be exact," 

"What do you suppose he was exiled for?"

"You know your dad has never told you that. Why don't you ask him?"

"You're right I could," 

"See you're quite excited to meet Iorek when we get to Trollesund," dad's voice said from behind.

"Yes very," 

"When we get there, (Y/N), I do not want you asking Iorek why he was exiled. It would bring up some bad memories for him and I don't want to hurt him. You understand?"

"Yes. What was he like when you met him?"

He leaned over the rail next to me. "Oh you know. Short-tempered but loyal and brave. He never backed off from a fight. He was such a brave bear the night he saved me and Hester,"

"Did he ever meet mum do you suppose?"

When I asked that question, you noticed that Dad was quite quiet. I immediately wished you had never asked that question. 

"No...but I think she would have admired him very much,"

I noticed his daemon Hester (an Artic hare) seemed rather quiet as well. Aster stepped over to nuzzle her. She nuzzled him back. I felt her love for him through our bond and through that I felt my dad's love for me. 

There was a sudden racket behind us. Dad went to look at the gas tanks. "Oh dear," he said. 

"What is it dad?"

"It seems we're going to have to make an unscheduled stop in Oxford," dad said. "We'll need to get some more gas. The balloon had used more than I anticipated. In the meantime, we should get some more food as well,"

"Oxford?!" You squealed. "I've always wanted to go there,"

"Do't get too excited. You know there are Magisterium officials around. They can be a bit..." he hesitated. "...skeptical of newcomers. Before..." his voice broke. "...before we started travelling together, I tended to ah..get into trouble," 

I smiled with humour. I always loved hearing dad's adventures. And if felt a relief to finally be a part of them. 

He turned a valve and the balloon started descending down at a slow pace. The more we came down, the more magnificent the view was. We saw more buildings and more panels where we saw dozens and dozens of Gyptian boats.