forty-one

February 5, 2020
New York City, New York

"Who put Mamma Mia?" Andrew complained, getting into the stage and listening to the start of Super Trouper. 

"I did," Gemma said and took Laurel's hand, dragging her to center of the stage. "I was sick and tired of everything when I called you last night from Glasgow, all I do is eat and sleep and sing, wishing every show was the last show..."

"So imagine I was glad to hear you're coming, suddenly I feel alright," Laurel continued the song as the both girls danced and the rest of the cast and the company joined them, "and it's gonna be so different when I'm on the stage tonight..."

"Tonight, the super Trouper lights are gonna find me shining like the sun, smiling having fun, feeling like a number one," Rachele and some other understudies sang and pointed at Laurel and Gemma when finished the line.

Gemma and Laurel hugged each other. "Tonight, the super trouper beams are gonna blind me, but I won't feel blue, like I always do, cause somewhere in the crowd there's you," both pointed at the empty seats of the theatre while continuing dancing the disco beat.

"Facing twenty thousand of your friends, how can anyone be so lonely? Part of a success that never ends, still I'm thinking about you only..." Laurel continued the song. "There are moments when I think I'm going crazy, but it's gonna be alright, everything will be so different when I'm on the stage tonight..."

They continued singing the song. There's no better way to de-stress before opening night than Mamma Mia. This is their last song before tomorrow, when they get to the full commit of being performers, and even start the run for Tony Awards nominations.

So far, 2020 seems perfect.

The song finished with the whole cast celebrating opening night. Now Laurel feels the real nerves. Tomorrow is going to be the day when the critics decide if they will be successful or will flop. People who already saw the show in the previews have given good critics and likes the revival, but the only one who counts is the critic from the New York Times.

"We are going to kill it tomorrow," Richard put his arm around Laurel's shoulders and looked at his four co-stars.

"Yes!" Michael shouted.

All of that fear will turn into joy and happiness when they're on the stage tomorrow. This is the moment they have been waiting for.

●●●

georgerussell63 30min

westsidestorybway 10 min

It was finally opening night, they night of their dreams

It was finally opening night, they night of their dreams. Even for Laurel, who is a little skeptical about dreams, was excited for being able to have a red carpet, an opening night. When she decided to study theatre, she never imagined herself in this position. She knew it was possible, but she never pictured it like this.

Laurel was wearing a nude gown with a deep plunging neckline that went all the way down to her stomach, with silver crystals all throughout the dress and a chevron-styled belt that wrapped around her waist. Something extra: the dramatic train.

Besides the dreamy dress, she was joined by her family, by George and even by his friends, who accepted her sudden invitation. To be honest, Lando, Charles and Charlotte were a little surprised that Laurel invited them. Alex and Lily maybe weren't that surprised; they spend one complete day together in Abu Dhabi, and then they send flowers to her for the start of the previews.

We all already know that Laurel hasn't got that many friends, so she now considers George's friends her own. Or at least she would like to, and that's why she invited all of them, just to break the ice and start a good relationship, if they are now bound to see each other more frequently.

"Second time we meet, and it is on a party again," Lando approached Laurel and George, with a big smile on his face. He has probably attended to great parties throughout his career, but never a theatre opening night.

Laurel chuckled. "I know, thanks for accepting the invitation out of the blue," she sincerely said and put her hand on his shoulder. 

"No problem, I think we are friends now, right?" he smiled. "As long as you don't break my mate's heart."

George rolled his eyes. Embarrassing.

"Of course I won't," Laurel smiled widely and turned to see George. "I already promised, and I want to keep it that way."

They continued dancing and having some drinks all together. From time to time, Laurel would join her castmates for pictures and a couple of drinks, and also her family. It was a really heartwarming moment, she felt like her heart would burst out. Fulfilling moment in very different ways.

"It's so nice to finally meet you," Charlotte walked towards Laurel, wanting to have a little talk with her. "Charles really wanted me to meet you, I am new in this whole paddock thing, so I don't know anybody yet..."

"I know, it feels awkward," Laurel admitted, remembering Abu Dhabi, when George told her about some other driver's girlfriends who already seemed to be friends, and Laurel was there on her own, or well, with Iray. "But now we can be the new ones together," she chuckled.

"I don't want to look like I'm just meddling," Lily introduced herself into the chat. "But I also want to take part of the new ones."

"Of course," Laurel smiled widely at the two girls.

●●●

By past midnight, everyone went back to the Maracay, where they of course had room reservations, courtesy of the Miramar & Costa Hotel Group.

Laurel and George entered her penthouse. Finally, some time alone.

"I didn't get to tell you, but you killed it tonight," George said and put his hands-on Laurel's waist, leaning down to kiss her.

"Thanks," she smiled. "Dear God, I just want to take all of this off and have some sleep, I am so tired," she crouched down to take out her silver Jimmy Choo heels.

George chuckled and took his jacket off. To be honest, he is also tired. Yesterday he and Lando took part on the premiere of the new season of Netflix's Drive to Survive and then they had to take a flight early in the morning to be in New York on time.

He noticed that Laurel was struggling a little to take off her dress. "I can help you with that," he teasingly offered.

"Thanks," she smiled and turned around, pulling her hair to the front to give George some space on her back to finally unzip the dress so she could get rid of it.

George put his fingertips on her back and traced all the way down till he found the beginning of the zipper. He pulled it down slowly and carefully. Laurel bit the inside of her lip. There was already some tension in the air, tension that would probably need to be solved sooner.

The thick tulle straps of Laurel's dress automatically fell off her shoulders. One more move, however smooth, and she would be completely naked.

"You really want to sleep?" George whispered in her ear.

She turned her head to face him. "Now that you bring it up..." she hesitantly said. "Sleep is overrated."