eleven

Laurel stepped out of the elevator wearing black jeans, a burgundy red cropped sweater and her favorite white sneakers. Her always reliable black backpack was hanging on her back, and she was just collecting in her mind a list of all the stuff she has to do right now. Just hotel stuff that she finds boring, but she needs to do if she wants her dad to continue giving her paychecks.

New York is a cold city. Cold and damp, in Laurel's words. That doesn't mean that she hates New York, she actually likes it. But it's mid-November, so, damp is the exact word to describe the city.

"Got you," George ran over Laurel, catching her.

"You startled me," she jumped a little and turn his head to see him, a little annoyed. She opened her eyes widely when she realized it was George, not just any annoying guy who wanted to prank her. "What are you doing here?" a smile grew on her lips, showing her evident surprise.

"I just came to give you a surprise," he winked at her, also smiling.

She smiled and gave him a small hug, still surprised. How could someone would really be willing to come from another country just to visit her? It makes no sense. Not at all. But it feels fine.

"I was about to do something," she said, pointing at the exit door of the hotel, "but now I'll be your tourist guide. Where'd you wanna go?" she spoke quickly, trying to hide nervousness.

"I don't know," he chuckled, "you tell me, you live here. But if you have something else to do, it's fine, I just showed up..."

"No, it's fine, I'll just call Chase, he can do it," she confidently nodded and took out her cellphone and texted the manager of the hotel in turn. After sending the message, she kept her phone back and looked again at George. "Let's go. It is said that when you get caught between the moon and New York City, the best that you can do is fall in love."

"Who says that?" he chuckled, staring directly to Laurel's eyes.

"It's a song, actually," she replied and swallowed, feeling the tension of his eyes on hers.

"Miss. Blanhir," the receptionist interrupted their moment, "your car is ready."

Laurel sighed heavily. She just nodded to the woman and faked a smile. "Let's go."

Laurel and George walked to the door. Outside, her chauffeur was waiting outside Laurel's red Camry. He handed the keys to Laurel and both George and she got on the car. She already has the idea of what is the first place she wants George to meet in New York: her favorite museum ever.

"So, where are we going?" he asked when they started the road.

"To New York's most amazing museum," she exaggerated, excited.

"The Met?"

"No!" she funnily yelled and looked at him for a second, "the Intrepid."

"Never heard about that one," he confessed, and she stared at him, "Laurel, eyes on the road!"

"I told you I suck at driving," she laughed and turned her eyes back to the front. "I'm sorry."

●●●

"So, it's called Intrepid because it is on an aircraft carrier called Intrepid?" George asked, trying to get under Laurel's nerves.

They walked together in the pier of the Hudson River, next to the museum, after visiting every room of it, with Laurel explaining everything. Literally everything. She is a freak when it comes to things that she likes.

"You are unbelievable," she said, slightly rolling her eyes. Laurel does that a lot. "Are you saying that I wasted my time bringing you here and reading that stupid pamphlet they gave you on the entrance?"

"No!" he put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close to him. "I was just kidding. I really liked the Concorde and the Soyuz."

She looked up to see him and squinted her eyes. "I prefer the Enterprise."

They laughed together and continued their way.

"What River is this?" he asked when they reached the railing.

"Hudson river," she said, leaning her back on the steel railing, "across this river is already New Jersey," she explained, pointing to the city across. "Are you already in Your New York state of mind?"

"That's a song," he replied, "I'm taking they greyhound on the Hudson river Line, I'm in a New York State of mind..."

"That song talks about Hudson River and yet you didn't know about it," she interrupted him.

"Sing with me," he insisted, ignoring her last words.

"No, you're not listening to my singing until you come to my opening night."

"Are you blackmailing me?" he asked and started to pinch on her waist.

"Don't do this..." she started to say in between laughs, "...please."

He wrapped his arms around her without stopping to tickle her, making her squirm in his arms.

Minutes later, the sun set on the horizon behind New Jersey. Perhaps being with Laurel, George found it the best sunset ever.

"Do you love this city? Because I think I already do," George said, staring at the Hudson river and the lights of New Jersey.

"I like it, but I think I still don't get used to it," she admitted, "this city moves fast, and I miss..."

"Your mum and dad," he interrupted. "I don't judge you; I also miss mum and dad."

She clearly misses mum and dad. Three years ago, she left for Boston for college with Emilio, and yet she still misses them. More now that she is alone in New York.

"Yet here you are, still in the United States. You have been out for weeks," she sighed.

"You want me to leave?"

"Of course not, if I could I would ask you to stay here forever," Laurel blurted out, without thinking too much. "Sorry."

"It's fine," he smiled, "I came because I missed you."

"That doesn't make any sense, we barely know each other," she frowned, trying to avoid looking at him, "and yet, I don't know how it is possible that simply looking at your face or listening to your voice gives me so much joy," she mumbled, trying to keep it to herself.

"I'm glad you said that," George grew a smile on his face, and his blue eyes lit up. "Because I didn't know if we feel the same."

"What?" Laurel hurried to ask and frowned, feeling a tickle growing on the pit of her stomach. She turned to see him, unable to even interpret what he said. "What does that mean?"

"Let me be clear," he chuckled. "Laurel, I like you," he took her hands in his.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Hello everyone! Update day is supposed to be on Wednesday, but I had a small delay. Anyway, new chapter! And thanks for almost reaching 900 reads! It's amazing!

I was also thinking of putting the dates of each chapter for clarity, would that be a good idea?

Again, thanks for reading!