fifty-seven

June 19, 2020
New York City, New York

"Hello, beautiful sister," Emilio said as Laurel popped off from the elevator. He was just there waiting for his sister to come down to attend an important meeting scheduled by their dad. "How did you wake up today?"

"Lying down, and you?" Laurel teasingly replied.

"Very funny," Emilio sarcastically said. "What did you have for breakfast? A clown?" he rolled his eyes.

"No, and now that you mention it, I haven't had breakfast yet," she shrugged.

"Well, it must be your lucky day," Iray suddenly showed up, holding a paper cup and a napkin wrapping something. "I got you a Turkey breast bagel and a coffee."

"There is no such thing as luck," Laurel said but took the thing her sister was offering anyway. "This must be Mexican coffee, or I'll be mad," she raised an eyebrow and took the two things in her hands.

"Of course it is Mexican," Iray nodded. "I made it from the one I brought from Mexico last Christmas."

"Great," Laurel took a sip of it, feeling the taste of cinnamon and sugar, alongside with the Mexican natural coffee. So delicious.

Emilio squinted his eyes. "I'll get you a dessert right away," he said and took out his phone. "You want rice pudding or Neapolitan pudding?"

"No, stop," Laurel stopped short, making her twins do the same. "I appreciate this, but I would actually appreciate it more if you had a real intention, not just because you want me to name you my legal representative," she looked at both of them and shook her head.

"You have to make a decision now," Emilio insisted. "We are heading to a meeting with the board, it would be nice if you could tell them as soon as possible to streamline legal procedures."

"Yes, the board is my mum, my dad and us," Laurel teasingly rolled her eyes. "Let's just get to that meeting. But what is this fuss for the meeting all about? I haven't attended a meeting since the proposal of the Maracay Los Ángeles."

Since Laurel is a member of the board of the Miramar & Costa Group, she has to agree with all the decisions made about investments and new projects, so she has to attend those meetings even if she doesn't want to.

"Well..." Iray took a deep breath and looked at Emilio. He shrugged, because none of them know what is going on. "My mum, dad and Rafael have been planning something, they say it's a surprise."

Laurel sighed. "Fine."

The three walked to the offices of the hotel, with Emilio and Iray still giving their best arguments of why Laurel should choose one of them. Little do they know that Laurel already made her decision and chose who will be her legal representative.

They arrived at the meeting room and found mum, dad, and Rafael taking a seat in one big glass table. The three said hello and took their seats on the swivel chairs, ready to listen to whatever Alejandro had to say.

"Next year marks the 15th Anniversary of the creation of the Maracay Miami and we are planning a big expansion," their dad stood up as a PowerPoint started playing on a screen. "We have this hotel chain, the Maracay, in the United States. Don't you think we have much more to give?"

Rafael stood up next to his dad and changed the slide on the screen. "Apart from the Maracay, we will start two more hotel chains: Monarca for Mexico, where we will start our first hotel in Mexico City; and Marbella for Europe, setting our first hotel to be built in Barcelona, Spain," he excitedly said. "The motto for the renewed Miramar & Costa Group, championing values as family, tradition and roots, will be: From our family, to yours," he cheerfully said.

The triplets stood there, quiet and a little confused. Mostly Laurel because she doesn't understand a thing of what is going on, she just has to be there because is her right as shareholder of the Group.

"I did not see this coming," Emilio mumbled and tried to smile.

"Neither did I," Iray looked at him.

"Great PowerPoint," Laurel praised the presentation of her brother and her dad as they continued explaining about the expansion. "I know of someone who could have done better tho," she shrugged. "But wait, what will happen to the money I earn from the Group?"

"Oh, you have no idea," Iray smirked. "You now will earn not just from the Maracay, but also from the Monarca and the Marbella."

"In terms of money..." Laurel looked at her twins.

"That is so much more money," Emilio assured and nodded.

"You know that I am not usually that interested on money..." Laurel slowly said, making clear that money is not a big deal for her. "But this is great." Iray and Emilio nodded.

"What do you think?" Alejandro asked when finished his presentation.

The triplets looked at each other, knowing that they didn't pay the attention needed.

"First of all," Laurel started to say. "Emilio said that I have to give you my choice about who will be my legal representative." Alejandro parted his lips, about to say something. "Me first, dad," Laurel cut him off. "I want Emilio to be my legal representative." The mentioned guy cheered in victory, and Iray of course complained.

"No, no. You can't do that," Alejandro shook his head.

"This is exactly why I want to do it, you don't take him seriously, but I am sure Emilio can do a lot of great things if you give him the chance..."

"If you let me finish..." Alejandro muttered, a little annoyed. "Seems like you didn't pay attention to the meeting at all," he complained. "But we are having two new hotel chains. I want Iray to take care of Maracay here in USA. Rafael will go to Mexico to take care of Monarca, and Emilio..."

"I am going to Europe?" Emilio screamed.

Alejandro sighed. No one seems to be willing to let him finish one single statement. "Yes, Emilio, you will take care of the Marbella chain in Europe."

"Yes," Emilio nodded. "I won't let you down, dad."

"I know you won't," Alejandro proudly smiled. "I've been planning this for a year, but with the news that Laurel is leaving for London, it fell like a glove. It's time for you to come out of the nest, all four of you, and unleash your full potential."

Sofía and Rafael approached. "Wherever you are, you are going to kill it," Sofia said and stared at her four adult children. "And your dad and I couldn't be prouder." The four siblings looked at each other. "I know this is nothing that you expected, but believe me, it's everything that you needed."