fifty-two

June 6, 2020
New York City, New York

"Okay guys, we are done for today..." the producer said as everyone was fitted on their casual clothes after tonight's show. "See you tomorrow at the Tony Awards!"

Alongside Laurel's nomination for the Tony Awards as Best Performance by a Leading Actress on a musical, Richard was nominated as Best Performance by a Leading Actor, Gemma for best Performance by a featured actress, and Andrew as Best Performance by a featured actor. For sure that Michael would have also been nominated, but since he got injured, he was left out.

West Side Story, on its side, was nominated itself for best choreography and costume design. So yeah, tomorrow is a great day for everyone at West Side Story.

"I have a hunch that we can win," Richard confidently said.

"Me too," Andrew nodded. "Or well, at least you will win."

"I think you and Gemma have more chances that Richard and I do," Laurel admitted. "Come on, Richard, we are nominated alongside Karen Olivo and Aaron Tveit for Moulin Rouge, you really think we stand a chance?"

"Cheer up," Gemma rolled her eyes. "You should make a wish for the star as in the princess and the frog," she put her hands together and looked at the ceiling. "Please, please, please."

"Yeah, right," Laurel sarcastically chuckled. She received a text from Emilio. Since they are all going to the Tony tomorrow, they are here in New York and he came to pick her little star sister up. "I have to go," she said. "See you tomorrow at the Tony."

She said goodbye to everyone and walked outside the theatre. A lot of people were at the stage door, waiting for Laurel or any member of the main cast. Laurel took a couple of pictures, signed more pamphlets and received good vibesfrom the people before getting in the car with Emilio.

"Everyone thinks you are going to win," Emilio said and started to drive.

"Karen Olivo is going to win," Laurel snorted. "Let's just be realistic."

Emilio was about to say something to cheer her up, when Laurel's phone started to ring. It was a call from George. He currently is in Baku for the Azerbaijan Grand Prix, so it's probably...like eight in the morning there, and he should be getting ready for the race in a couple of hours.

"Hello, baby," Laurel said. Emilio articulated a laugh; it is so weird to listen Laurel saying something like that. "Shut up," she muttered at her brother and hit him on his arm.

"You won't believe it," George blurted out, with excitement.

"What is it?" Laurel smiled. He seems so cheered up, there must be good news.

"Lewis, he..." George stammered. "He has a stomach infection..."

Laurel frowned. "And why is that exciting?"

"Because like you, he also has an understudy," George explained. Laurel rolled her eyes. It seems like a big mansplanation is coming up. "But his understudy is in Indonesia for the Formula E."

"If you are going to mansplain me please do it quick," Laurel muttered.

"I am his understudy."

Laurel blinked a few times. "Come again?"

"Yes," George cheerfully replied. "Toto talked to Claire, and Claire said it was fine for me to cover up for Lewis in the Mercedes."

"OH MY GOD," Laurel yelled, startling Emilio. "I..."

"I know, and Lewis qualified on pole," George said. "And you are the first one to know about this, I mean, after my mum and dad."

"This is great," Laurel nodded repeatedly. "I am sure you will win."

"Thanks," George replied. "I have to go and try on the uniform, call you after the race?"

"Of course," Laurel said. "Go and win this race. And send me pictures of you in your new suit," she excitedly said. If she was excited, she couldn't imagine what George was feeling. 

"I love you," George finally said.

"I love you too," Laurel said at last and they hung up the phone. "Oh my God," she said, word by word, and turned to see Emilio. "George is going to drive for Mercedes."

"What?" Emilio yelled. "Stop and rewind, what?"

"Lewis Hamilton is sick," Laurel explained. "And George will take his seat because Hamilton's understudy is in Indonesia."

"It's not called understudy..."

"I don't care," Laurel interrupted. "Can you...Can you believe it?"

"I told you, the impossible becomes reality all the time," Emilio recalled some words he's said before.

●●●

June 7, 2020
New York City, New York

"George Russell comes, he crosses the line... and wins the Azerbaijan Grand Prix in 2020 in the Mercedes," the voice on the tv said.

"Oh my God," Laurel yelled. Her and her whole family woke up so early in the morning to watch the race, and now, everyone was cheering for George. His first points, his first podium, and his first win.

"Crossing the line in second place is Alexander Albon in the Red Bull, and third is Charles Leclerc in the Ferrari..."

"This is amazing," Laurel shouted again. "Wow, I can't...who..."

Laurel was so excited that she couldn't even talk. Her body was filled with excitement and even adrenaline, despite the fact that she wasn't even there. She just stared at the tv, trying to assimilate all that happened in the past two hours.

"Laurel, your phone," Iray said and handed her sister the phone.

Laurel reacted and took her iPhone in her hands. The caller was an unknown number. "Hello?" she answered.

"Hi, how are you?" a voice on the other side said.

"Fine?" Laurel said, a little lost.

"Oh, sorry, It's Gloria Estefan," the woman said. Laurel's jaw dropped, for the second time on the day. "I just wanted to wish you luck on the Tony Awards today," she continued. "And tell you that after months of deliberating, Emilio and I think that you are the perfect girl to play Gloria in On your feet! on the West End..."

"I...I got the part?" Laurel babbled.

"Yes," Gloria Estefan said. "Now is up to you to decide. Regardless if you take it or not, you have a great future ahead of yourself," she assured. "Now, get ready for the Tony's, we'll be cheering from Miami."

"Thank you," Laurel mumbled. When she hung up the phone, everyone was looking at her. "I got the part of On Your feet!"

Everyone screamed and shouted and celebrated. So many big news and it's just nine am. It just seemed like it was their day. For both, Laurel and George.

The podium ceremony started on the tv and everyone turned to see it. Laurel was so happy for George, this is what he's been waiting for, and now he finally is on the podium, where he belongs. It was such a great day, everything seemed so exciting, just routing for good things.

When the Grand Prix transmission was finally over, everyone started to get ready for the Tony awards. There is still a lot to handle on just one day.