nine

I don't know if these are your favorite flowers, but I did some research and found that dahlias are the national flowers of Mexico. Anyway, they are beautiful, like you.

—George

"Why are you so sappy?" Laurel said when George answered the phone, and she walked towards her couch to take a seat. Something inside her felt good. She just loosely mentioned about being Mexican American once, and yet he remembered.

"I wanted to do something for you," he laughed.

"I loved them, they are beautiful," she bit her lip and smiled. "When the receptionist told me I had something delivered, I thought it was paperwork of the Miramar & Costa."

"And you yelled at her?" he guessed.

"Probably I did," she nodded, "to Chase, actually, because he wanted to tell me about it, and I was sure I had the paperwork. Now I see he's the one who actually got it," she giggled, "anyway I just wanted to come to my bedroom, lay down and watch my telenovela."

"Your what?" he asked.

"Telenovela, you have never watched one?"

"Never," he said, "what is that?"

"A telenovela is like a TV series, but includes much more drama, love and passion," she searched for the right words to describe a telenovela, "have you ever watched Jane the Virgin on Netflix?"

"I think no," he answered slowly.

"That one is called a millennial telenovela," she explained, and George giggled, "in fact, the protagonist loves telenovelas."

"That's how you started to love them?"

"No!" she yelled, "my parents are Mexican. One of my uncles is a telenovela actor. My grandma loves telenovelas. Every time we visit her in Mexico, she's watching a brand-new telenovela," she remembered, "the telenovela I'm watching right now, I watched it with her on summer and Christmas of 2010."

"And how's it called?"

"When I fall in love," she translated.

"Sounds so cheesy," he said, laughing.

"It is," she affirmed, "A guy comes to Mexico to avenge his brother and ends up falling in love with the girl who he thought killed his brother. It's so long that I don't even know how to make it in a nutshell."

"I should watch one of those," he laughed again, "I don't see why someone would think you are grumpy."

"Probably because I like to explain thinks logically," she explained, "but nobody knows that I also dream of having my own telenovela story."

"Filled with drama, passion and love?"

"Yes," she admitted and stayed in silence a little.

"I like getting to know you better."

"I'm just talking about nonsense like telenovelas," she chuckled, "in your language, I think a telenovela could be like Kate Middleton and Prince William's story."

"I'm enjoying hearing about telenovelas," he said. She smiled, biting her lip. "Now that you bring prince William up, I feel the need to tell you a fun fact about me."

"Shoot," she said, curious. "Not literally..."

"I think I know what you mean," he slightly laughed. "My middle name is William, like prince William."

"No way!" she yelped and jumped on the couch, "are you saying that I found a prince for my own telenovela story?"

"That's exactly what I am saying."

●●●

"I can't believe you missed the whole chapter of the telenovela!" Gemma yelled to Laurel, entering to the penthouse, "what the hell were you doing?"

"Reading the paperwork," Laurel lied and sat down slowly on the couch. The pain doesn't go away, and she missed the telenovela chapter because she was talking to George instead of paying attention to the TV.

"Omg, are those Dahlias?" Gemma approached to the dining table.

"Gemma," Laurel said and tried to stand up from the couch to avoid Gemma to read the little card, but the pain on her legs and abdomen didn't let her.

"Who is he?" Gemma turned around slowly, holding the little card on her fingers, while Laurel groaned with pain.

Laurel sighed and leaned on the sofa. "He is a guy I met on Iray's party."

"And why you didn't tell me?" Gemma demanded to know and sat down next to Laurel's head.

"Haven't you realized that every time you meet someone, start to feel something, and then you decide to tell everyone about how you feel, suddenly it gets jinxed?"

"All the time, it's annoying," Gemma agreed and rolled her eyes, "I see the point now. Although I never thought you would say something is 'jinxed'."

"I don't know why I said 'jinxed'," Laurel snorted and then chuckled. Jinxed. She frowned. "Anyway, we met four days ago, it's not that much but its..."

"Special," Gemma smiled, sincerely. Laurel didn't know what to say. Is it special? "It's okay if you don't want to talk about it yet."

Laurel snapped her tongue, "now I feel like I have to tell you everything."

"After the telenovela, it's about to start," Gemma stopped her, and Laurel squinted her eyes.

"Fine then, you miss it."