thirty-five

December 10, 2019
New York City, New York

"Camille really lost it and..." Richard started to explain outside of the director's office.

"She broke up with you?" Laurel frowned. He nodded. "I'm sorry."

"It's fine," he shook his head. "She is so paranoid; how could she possibly think that I would do that to her? You are just my Broadway best friend."

"She thinks you are philandering," she teased and approached him to give him a warm hug, what he needs now that his heart might be broken.

"Philandering? Really?" he laughed.

"I always wanted to say that word," she slightly laughed. Sometimes she just can't be serious in serious situations.

"Guys, come in," the producer opened the door to his office and saw Laurel and Richard hugging. In his mind, he thought that they agreed to do the publicity. They walked towards his desk and he took a seat behind it, leaving the guys so seat in front of him. "Have you agreed?"

"No," Laurel shook her head. Richard nodded, agreeing with her.

"That would be breach of contract..." the man started to say. "That'll mean immediate dismissing or court..."

"I'm going to stop you right there," Laurel interrupted, which obviously was taken disrespectful. "You think we are stupid, but we are not," she raised her eyebrows and took a paper out of her bag. "Clause 17 of the contract indicates that we must accept advertising in banners, interviews, videos, magazines and social networks strictly for the musical. What you are asking us could harm our mental health and I am not sure that is in the contract."

"We could sue you for attempting against our mental health," Richard say. Laurel chuckled, that seems to be his best card.

Last night, Emilio and David read the whole contract trying to find the nook that could free them from that uncomfortable situation without having to go to court for a stupid contract. This morning, Richard arrived at Laurel's apartment and their lawyers explained the arguments they could give.

"That is nonsense," the producer laughed, ironically. "How could I be harming your 'mental health'?"

"My mum is a psychologist with a PhD in neurosciences," Laurel confidently nodded her head to hide the fact that she is lying. She has not talked to her mum in the last 24 hours, and Sofía is definitely not a psychologist. "And even though the brain isn't an exact science, she is completely sure that we could fall in love for real if we start to pretend being on a relationship," Laurel was basing her arguments just on the movies and telenovelas she has watched. Not the best reference, as usual.

"I'd be doing you both a favor."

"No," Richard shook his head. "I am not interested in falling in love with Laurel," he yelled. Laurel turned her head to see him. "With all due respect."

"I have the odds in my favor if we go to court," the producer was reluctant, trying to intimidate Richard and Laurel. "You are not fulfilling the contract; you are refusing to do advertising."

"Listen," Laurel settled down on the chair. She was starting to get so mad with her producer's attitude. Seems like he is not as nice as the day the whole cast met five months ago. "If you fire us, you'll have to pay thousands of dollars for re-advertising. Removing our faces from the banners to put our understudy's, scheduling new interviews, and clarifying the reasons why we are dismissed."

"There is a fee for breaching of contract, you'll have to pay, and I can use that money."

"Your bark is much worse than your bite," Laurel muttered. They knew since the beginning that he was going to trying to push them to the edge for them to accept out of despair. But he underestimated them.

"What she means," Richard hurried to talk. Laurel is getting annoyed and nothing good can result out of her anger. "Is that we can accuse you for mental abuse and blackmail in court. That would give bad press to you and your show, and it's most likely to flop if that happens."

"You can't know that," the producer shrugged.

"You are harassing us to do something we don't want to, and people will talk about that, and your musical will flop," Laurel repeated Richard's word. "Whatever the hell that mean."

"Get out," the producer said, tired of arguing with Richard and Laurel.

"See you in court?" Richard frowned.

"See you tomorrow."

●●●

"He really thought he had us," Richard excitedly screamed, dropping his body on Laurel's couch.

"I know," Laurel sat on the couch, next to George, and leaned her head on his shoulder.

"You were so convincing," Richard shook his head. "You could really be a lawyer."

"I have seen so much Suits and Scandal that I know how to do it," Laurel thinks that her days watching just tv are finally being useful, and she's learning something. "I use the card of us possibly falling in love with each other, but I endorsed it by saying that my mum told me that and she is a PhD in neurosciences."

"But your mum didn't tell you that, and she is an Accountant," George said, remembering that it was Laurel herself the one who came to that conclusion.

"I know, but that guy would have totally invalidated the argument if I told him that I learned it, he had to find something really convincing," Laurel explained.

"She really knows how to win an argument," Richard nodded. "That's why I am not interested in falling in love with her; I'm really sorry for the poor sucker who is actually dating her," George and Laurel both stared at him at the same time. Richard gasped and opened his eyes widely when realized what he said. "I'm sorry, man, I didn't mean to call you poor sucker."

George laughed. "It's fine, mate, I know what I signed up for."

Laurel rolled her eyes. 

"So, you won?" Iray walked out of the kitchen, eating gelatin, with Emilio following her.

"What are you doing?" Laurel turned her head to see her.

"We love this gelatin, where did you get this?" Emilio asked.

"I made it," Laurel mumbled. Her twins looked at her. How could she, if she hates everything that has to do with housing? "I only prepared water with the Jamaica flower that my abuela sent me from Mexico, put unflavored gelatin powder, poured it into small glasses with lid and refrigerated it," she explained. "It's not that hard, is it?"

"And no conservatives," Iray added. "This is brilliant."

"Your mum never prepared you gelatins before?" George frowned.

"Of course yes," Laurel nodded. Emilio and Iray's surprise about the gelatins was just ridiculous.

"But my mum did it with the flavored powder, this is natural and tastes better," Emilio said, enjoying the gelatin.

"I am loving the gelatin conversation," Richard stood up from the couch. "But I have to go."

"Yes, run while you can," Laurel said, snarkily. "Unless you want to be the poor sucker who deals with me."

"I'm sorry!" Richard laughed.

He said goodbye to everyone and left her penthouse.

"I am the poor sucker?" Emilio said. George and Laurel looked at each other. "I mean, I have been dealing with you for 21 years."

"Then yes, you are the poor sucker," Laurel nodded. George chuckled and shrugged.