forty-nine

April 24, 2020
Miami, Florida

With hurried steps, Laurel ran to the screen that marked the arrivals at Miami airport, searching for the flight from London. She saw that the flight was on time, meaning it had just landed, and she felt relieve inside. She barely made it.

She went to audition for Gloria and Emilio Estefan with exact time just to pop off and go pick George up at Miami airport, but she didn't count on the Estefans entertaining her in a lively and comfortable conversation.

Anyway, she actually made it on time. She walked to the arrival's door and as soon as they opened, she saw George coming out, pulling a small suitcase behind him, just perfect for a weekend.

"Hey," he said and ran into her. "I missed you," he wrapped his arms around Laurel's waist and then separated to kiss her lips. "Why are you dressed like this?" he looked at her from head to toe. She was wearing a pair of burgundy shorts and a floral wrap blouse, something in the middle between dressed up and just casual, perfect for her audition.

"Because..." Laurel babbled, trying to come up with a logic answer. It was not the time yet to tell George about the audition, because what if she doesn't get the role? She is just going to look like a clown. "I was at the office with my dad," she mumbled. Lying is not amongst her favorite activities.

He frowned. "Really?"

No. "Yes," she said and nodded, trying to look confident. She is not very good at lying, let alone to the most important person in her life currently. "Just checking up stuff from the Maracay New York."

George raised an eyebrow and then put his hand on Laurel's right cheek, squeezing it. "Sounds good," he said and leaned down to kiss her again. Oh, how he missed her lips, it was so nice to meet again after two months of being apart.

"Not that good," Laurel admitted, trying to sound like herself. "But let's go," she interlinked her fingers with his and they made their way out of the airport, going to the parking lot and searching for the car Laurel came with, her dad's white Kia Sportage.

Laurel unlocked the car and opened the door of the backseats for George to put his suitcase in, and finally they entered on the front seats, Laurel behind the wheel to drive back to the city. First stop the Maracay, since she actually has stuff to do there.

"I am really impressed that you are so rich and yet you drive normal cars," George said, fastening his seatbelt while Laurel started the engine.

"What do you mean normal cars?" she questioned, putting the reverse mode and looking into the rear-view mirrors to get out of the parking space. Her mind was somewhere else, still thinking about the fact that she made something big in her life and didn't tell George, she felt some kind of guilt.

"Laurel," George said, taking her out of her thoughts. "Why are you watching in the mirrors if you have this camera?" he put his finger on the screen.

She turned to see him and blinked a few times. "Is the same thing, I am going to get out anyway, no matter what method I use," she said, feeling now more confident with that answer.

George laughed. "Fine, do it your way," he shrugged as she finally made her way out and went forward to exit the parking lot. "But I mean, you could have an expensive Ferrari on your garage and yet you have a Korean car."

"Asian cars are cool," Laurel smirked with her eyes on the road. "And it's the same if we have a Ferrari or a Kia, it will take us places anyway."

"You definitely don't share the passion for motorsport," George shook his head.

"I'm fine with any car as long as it takes me where I want to go," Laurel smiled, cheekily.