forty-five

February 22, 2020
New York City, New York

"Delete that idea out of your head," George ordered. Laurel told him about Gloria Estefan and her musical in the West End, implying that she wouldn't mind auditioning for it, but she thought it would have a different outcome.

"Wouldn't you like me to be where you are?" Laurel raised an eyebrow. She just said to Gemma that she wasn't going to audition, but she actually stayed with that idea in her head. What if she does audition and Gloria chooses her?

"I'd love to, but not if it means pulling you away from your family and everything that you already know," he firmly replied.

Of course he wants her to be where he is, but he doesn't want her to leave everything just for him. That would mean making a very hasty decision, and if the outcome is not what Laurel expects, she will riot, and it will only make him feel bad for making her do it. Maybe it's a selfish thought on the one side, but on the other, he doesn't want to be the beginning of Laurel's disgrace. He just wants her to be happy, and she is already happy in West Side Story.

"You are from the Mercedes driver's academy, right?" Laurel asked, trying to reach to a point where he understands. "I mean, you could get a seat offered to Force India or even Mercedes, right?"

"It's Racing Point," George chuckled. "And...I don't know, maybe," he hesitantly said. "Toto is my manager, so..."

"Yeah, whatever, everyone calls it Force India," she shook her head.

"I once made a free practice for Force India though."

"You just said it's Racing Point," Laurel confusedly said.

"It was called Force India before," George replied.

"This is getting so confusing," Laurel mumbled and chuckled. "Anyway, if you were offered a seat in Racing Point, would you take it?"

"What does this have to do with Gloria Estefan?"

"Just answer, please," she asked again.

"If it was for a better team, maybe," George said. "I need to grow, learn new things, and I am sure the people at Williams would be happy for me."

"You see? Ditch my comfort zone, learn new things..." Laurel tried to make her point clear.

George took a deep breath. "I understand if you want to do it for me because you can't resist me," he cheekily said. "But I think the real question here is: am I really worth it?"

Laurel snorted. "That is not even a question, of course you are worth it."

"Okay, thanks for that," George giggled. "But listen up, the thing that makes us so special is that we have the Atlantic Ocean between us, and that my mum hates you because of that."

"Oh god, she really hates me?" Laurel tried to laugh out of frustration, but it wasn't actually very funny to know from George's mouth that his mum really doesn't like her.

"No, she doesn't hate you," he made clear and teasingly laughed. "She just hates that when I have time to spare, I'd rather take a flight to go to the other side of the world than go visit her."

"Am I really worth it?"

"Yes, of course," George confidently said. "But this is us, finding ways to be together, figuring out the perfect time to call each other, and setting dates to meet, living this life one day at a time."

"And this is special because every time we meet, we have new stories to share, new places to meet..."

"That's it, this is why we are special. Because every time we call each other, we say 'I miss you' like a hundred times," George chuckled. "This is us, and I wouldn't change a thing."