eighteen

November 22, 2019
New York City, New York

"So, see you in Abu Dhabi," George sighed and smiled, grabbing his luggage to go into the boarding gate and finally head to London.

Laurel blinked a few times. She completely forgot about going to Abu Dhabi. "Of course," she said, lying a little bit.

"You forgot, right?" he chuckled. Seems like he already knows how to read her.

"No," she yelled, with outrage. "I got everything under control."

"Sure?" George teasingly asked and smirked.

Laurel nodded and curved up her lips. She was thinking of going, she even checked about flights and stuff, but this week she got distracted by George's surprise visit, and well, at the end she forgot about it.

The call for the flight to London filled the speakers of the New York airport, meaning George had to go.

"Okay, have a good flight," Laurel said and put her hands on George's shoulders to give him a little push back.

"Fine, I'll trust you," he raised an eyebrow. "See you in Abu Dhabi," he pressed his lips into a smile and kissed Laurel's cheek and wrapping his arms around her body into a big hug.

They wish they didn't have to say goodbye but is just temporary until Laurel lands in Abu Dhabi. They separated from the hug and Laurel smiled back as she watched George turning around and walking to his gate.

She turned the other way and started to walk. She needs a ticket to Abu Dhabi as soon as possible.

By the grace of god, her cellphone started to ring, and when Laurel took it out of her jeans pocket, she saw Rafael's name on the caller ID.

"Hi, Raf," she reluctantly said.

"Hello, sissy," he cheerfully replied, despite her sister's apparent bad mood.

"What do you need?" she sighed, a little exasperated.

"Grumpy, are we? Well, it doesn't surprise me," he teased. "How can I help you?"

"What makes you think I need your help?" Laurel frowned.

"You are usually grumpy when things don't work out the way you want."

Laurel took a deep breath. "You have a ticket for Abu Dhabi by chance?" she sarcastically said. Right now, is the only way he can help her.

"I happen to have one," he easily said.

"What?" she stopped short in the middle of the airport, getting in the way of the people. "You have plane tickets stored like that?"

"Not really," Rafael chuckled. "I was going to go to Abu Dhabi Grand Prix with Amara, but we broke up two days ago."

"What?" Laurel yelled again. "Stop and rewind. What do you mean you broke up with her?"

Amara is -or was- Rafael's girlfriend, and they lasted about four or five years, they even lost count. She was very loved and cherished by the whole family but seems like they won't see her anymore.

"She moved to Ohio, and you know, long distance relationships usually don't work," he replied.

Laurel shook her head in disapproval. "And you are not going to give it a shot?"

"No," he said. "It requires way too much effort; I am already too busy and don't have time for that."

"I can't believe this," she whispered. "You are unbelievable."