fifty-eight

June 21, 2020
New York City, New York

"Maybe you should sing, you people sing for everything," George teased. Laurel snorted but ended up chuckling. "Is it really that hard?"

"Yes," Laurel hurried to answer. "Gemma is the only friend I have, how am I supposed to tell her that I am moving to another country?" she blurted.

She was sitting in front of her dressing table in her dressing room in the theatre, just right after finishing the show. It is being harder than expected to tell her friends that she is leaving Broadway.

"You are always so practical but somehow now you don't want to?" George insisted.

"It is not easy," Laurel pouted, even though he could know that George couldn't see her. "I don't have many friends, and Gemma is my only friend," she dropped her back on the chair and threw her head back.

"And, in other stuff..." George said, trying to distract her a little. "You already have a place here in London?"

"Not yet, but my dad sent his real estate agent to find a place," Laurel shrugged. "He'll find something nice, with a view to the Thames river."

"That sounds great," George excitedly said. "I was thinking..." he started to say. "When do rehearsals begin?"

"August 1st, why?"

"Mmm," he hummed. "Maybe we could go on vacation after the British Grand Prix, before Hungarian and of course, before you start preparing again for a new show."

"Yes," Laurel replied without taking too much time on answering. "I'd love that," she smiled. "Maybe we can go to Turkey, or Japan..."

"I was thinking of...Cuba," George said. Laurel raised her eyebrows, and her lips instantly curved up. "You know, Havana..."

"Gloria Estefan is from Havana," Laurel mentioned, with a big smile on her face.

"I know," George replied. "Last Sunday you said something about being worried that you are Mexican while Gloria is Cuban, so, here it is, the chance for you to meet a little about your new character."

"Thank you so much," Laurel smiled. "For being so supportive with me in this."

"I'll do anything for you," he said the lyrics of a Gloria Estefan song. "You see? I am already listening to Gloria Estefan. I'll be your number one fan."

Laurel let out a deep sigh. "I can't wait, because I'll also be your number one fan. Did I already tell you that we won't have performances on Sundays?"

"What? Really?" George surprisedly asked.

"Yes, yes," Laurel nodded. "So, I'll probably visit you on the European races more than we expected."

"I'm already looking forward to it."

"But first, a week in Havana," Laurel brought again the topic of going on vacation.

"Are you going to ask for vacation?" Gemma's voice could be heard.

Laurel lifted her head instantly and looked Gemma's reflection in the mirror. She was standing there, just waiting for an answer.

"Can I call you back?" Laurel nervously said and spun the swivel chair she was sitting in.

"Is everything okay?" George worriedly asked, a little concerned by Laurel's sudden reaction.

"Gemma is here," she said.

"Oh, good luck with that then," George teased. "You got this."

"Very funny," Laurel sarcastically rolled her eyes.

"I mean it," he laughed loud. "Love you."

"Yeah, I..." Laurel stammered and scratched her head, a little nervous. Gemma was there in front of her, just staring. "I love you too," she finally said and hung up the phone.

"I never thought I would ever hear you saying that," Gemma teasingly said and welcomed herself to Laurel's dressing room, taking a seat on the couch. "But, anyway, you are going to take vacation?"

Laurel chewed on her lip. She could just lie and say yes, or she could say the true right now. She was so annoyed at herself for having such a big conflict about it. Why was it so difficult to say it?

"Listen," Laurel slowly said and played with her fingers, avoiding eye contact with Gemma. "I...me..." she babbled. Gemma raised an eyebrow. "I am leaving..."

"Come again?" Gemma blinked a few times.

"I will go to the West End," Laurel replied, still looking down. Gemma's jaw dropped, trying to process everything. There was silence. Laurel reacted fast and stood up from the chair, to go take a seat next to Gemma. "I will play Gloria Estefan."

"Wow," Gemma blew her cheeks. "When I told you about it...I didn't think you would really consider it..."

"At first, I did, but then I didn't, and then Gloria Estefan came to me..." Laurel tried to explain, but only made it confusing.

"What? Gloria Estefan herself came to you?" Gemma was now surprised, eyes wide opened.

"Yes," Laurel nodded. She knew she was making a right decision, but she was also afraid of losing her first friends. "I got to move on to new opportunities..."

"And I would Never stop you," Gemma squeezed Laurel's hand. "I'm sure if I had a chance like this, I would definitely take it," she sincerely smiled. "I'll miss you, but...I'm sure this is something great."

"I had so much trouble finding a way to tell you," Laurel admitted. "You are kind of my best friend..."

"Kind of?" Gemma faked outrage.

"Well, my best friend," Laurel corrected. "For so long my sister was the only best friend I had, no one ever wanted to get to know me, because they found me annoying and different."

"I had nothing to lose but so much to win," Gemma smiled. "You are the perfect Maria to my Anita, and I am so glad I got to know you."

"So, you already told her?" Richard showed up, with Michael and Andrew next to him. Laurel nodded.

"You already knew about this?" Gemma asked.

"Yes," Laurel replied. "I told Richard and Michael on Monday, then Andrew on Tuesday," she remembered, as her friends made their way into the dressing room and took a seat on the couch in front of the girls. "I found it so hard to tell you."

"We are happy for you, trust us," Andrew nodded and smiled.

"This is huge," Michael completed. "Count us in for opening night."

"Oh, yeah, it's not even a question, we want to see you as Gloria," Richard agreed.

Laurel leaned her head on Gemma's shoulder and smiled. "These walls, and all these pictures frames, every name they show," she sang with her voice about to break. All her friends already knew the news, so it was the realization that she was leaving, now it felt more real. "These halls I've walked a thousand times, heartbreaks and valentines, friends of mine all know..." she swallowed hard and lifted up her head. "I look at everything I was, and everything I ever loved, and I can see how much I've grown. And though the mirror doesn't see it, it's clear to me, I feel it, I can make it on my own. I'm not afraid of moving on and letting go, it's just so hard to say goodbye to what I know, I know...." She kept on and looked nostalgic at her friend and confidents for this Broadway adventure. "This time no one's gonna say goodbye, I keep you in this heart of mine, this time I know is never over. No matter who or what I am, I'll carry where we all began, this time that we had I will hold forever..."