fifty-nine

July 12, 2020
New York City, New York

Laurel hang the black dress with pink flowers on the wardrobe and stared at the different outfits she wore for Maria. She scanned the whole dressing room, already empty and set for the new Maria to settle tomorrow.

She was still sure about the decision she took, but it wasn't easy to close the cycle. Her last night at the show was heartwarming. The producer and the cast asked the crowd a big applause to farewell Laurel and wish her luck, and her whole family was here, the same way they did on opening night.

"Laurel," Gemma's voice filled the empty room. Laurel turned around and faced her friend, with a small smile pressed on her lips. "Having second thoughts?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

Laurel shook her head. "No," she replied and chuckled.

"Good," Gemma nodded. "Deep inside we always knew this day would come," she crossed her arms in front of her chest and leaned on the frame of the door. "We never thought it happened before we expected, though."

"Yeah," Laurel deeply sighed. "I hope you always know that you will be with me wherever I go," she smiled. "I mean, not literally..."

"I get it," Gemma slightly laughed. "We'll just be a FaceTime call apart."

"Yes, always," Laurel gave her a nod and opened her arms for a hug. Gemma accepted the hug and held Laurel tight. She didn't want to let her go, but it was time.

"Let's go, because we all want to give you the farewell you deserve," Gemma parted from the hug.

Laurel nodded and took her small backpack to hang her on her back and followed Gemma back to the stage. As soon as they reached the stage, all the cast from the show was there, giving a loud and big applause to Laurel.

"Thank you," Laurel smiled. "What we created here was beyond my expectations. You made my first Broadway show something I will hold forever, thank you all." Everyone cheered and gave another big applause.

It was so hard to let Laurel go, because even if she sometimes was skeptical and annoying, even if sometimes she just wanted to swim against the current, she was a big part of the show. She was the star; she was the beginning of everything.

"West End can be flashy, and you are now a Tony Award winner, so I wouldn't be surprised if any producer offers you a show," the producer of West Side Story said. "But you will always have the gates opened here in Broadway."

"I know, thanks," Laurel nodded and gave him a hug. "And Rachele," she looked at her understudy directly into her eyes. "I give María to you, completely. Take care of her and love her as much as I do." It was like the moment when Laurel finally realized she wouldn't play Maria again. "And also take care of my Tony, my Bernardo, my Anita and my Riff," she looked at her friends, Richard, Andrew, Gemma and Michael. "Because I love them too," without noticing, Laurel started to sob.

"Are you crying?" Richard teased and hugged her.

"Yes, and it's embarrassing," Laurel admitted. She started to said goodbye to the entire cast, one by one, while they wished her success on the West End. It was being very difficult to say goodbye.

"Let's have one last song," Michael suggested once Laurel finished with everyone.

"Yes," Laurel nodded. "This is being hard, so please, stop the hugging and I will walk out of here like I'm going to be seeing everyone on Tuesday." Everyone laughed and nodded. Laurel took a deep breath and then blew her cheeks, trying to not let her emotions control her. "Give me a second I, I need to get my story straight, my friends are in the bathroom getting higher than the Empire State..." she hugged Richard and Gemma. "My lover he's waiting for me, just across the bar, my seat's been taken by some sunglasses asking bout a scar and..."

"I know I gave it to you months ago, I know you're tryin' to forget," Richard sang. "But between the drinks and subtle things, the holes in my apologies, you know, I'm trying hard to take it back..."

"So, if by the time the bar closes, and you feel like falling down, I'll carry you home," Gemma and Andrew softly sang.

"Tonight, we are young," the whole cast sang in unison. "So, let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter than the sun..."

They continued with the song, amid more hugs and smiles from everyone. It was the end of a chapter. By the end of the song, Laurel just started to walk away from everyone.

"...So if by the time the bar closes, and you feel like falling down, I'll carry you home," Laurel and Richard sang at the end, with her staring at everyone with nostalgic eyes. "Tonight," she finished and smiled, blowing a kiss in the air and waving goodbye to the whole cast.

Then she just turned around and walked to the stage door to exit the theatre, without looking back to her cast. It would just be more difficult.

Laurel opened the door and stepped outside. The street was filled with fans from West Side Story, who wanted the last autographs and pictures of Laurel in Broadway. Everyone gave their best wishes to Laurel on her new project, and after a couple minutes, she could get out of the crowd.

George was waiting for her right there. As soon as he saw Laurel, he opened his arms to give ger a hug. Laurel wrapped her arms around his waist, and he kissed the top of her head. "There's no turning back now?"

"Nope, it's done," Laurel slightly laughed. They separated from the hug and she stepped on her tiptoes to kiss his lips. "Or do you have second thoughts?"

"No," George shook his head and smiled, bringing their lips together again. "So, what do you think happens now?" he asked, locking his blue eyes with her green eyes.

"Everything that happens next."