sixteen

November 21, 2019
New York City, New York

"I've been alone with you inside my mind, and in my dreams, I've kissed your lips a thousand times," Richard sang and moved his fingers across the piano keys on that stage, in front of everyone. "I sometimes see you pass outside my door. Hello, is it me you're looking for?"

"I can see it in your eyes, I can see it in your smile, you're all I've ever wanted, and my arms are open wide," Laurel sang with Richard, a little bit shy. For the first time since the rehearsals began a couple of months ago, everyone is just staring at her and nobody else, and to be honest, this is making her a little uncomfortable. "Cause you know just what to say, and you know just what to do, and I want to tell you so much.... I love you."

"I long to see the sunlight in your hair..." Richard continued.

"And tell you time and time again how much I care," Laurel somehow regained her confidence and sang stronger. "Sometimes I feel my heart will overflow..."

"Hello," they sang together again. "I've just got to let you know. Cause I wonder where you are, and I wonder what you do, are you somewhere feeling lonely, or is someone loving you?" she widely smiled, having the memory of last night's kiss with George, feeling a shiver down her spine. "Tell me how to win your heart, for I haven't got a clue, but let me start by saying... I love you."

"Amazing," Simon, their director, clapped his hands to his two stars. "You have great chemistry on stage. Let's just all take five."

Laurel and Richard smiled and stood up from the bench of the piano. They took their bottles of water and sat down on the floor to have some rest.

"I saw Moulin Rouge last night," Laurel excitedly said and smiled.

Richard frowned. "The movie or the show?"

"The show," she replied, holding the same smile on her lips. Well, Moulin Rouge is not actually the reason of her great big smile.

Kissing George again, with no accident involved, was like if she finally allowed herself to feel something for him. All of her feelings swarmed: a rush of desire, gratitude, fulfillment, and admiration. That first real kiss gave way to the need to know him better, explore and experience everything that has to do with him as soon as possible. Maybe because when the week is over, he has to fly to Abu Dhabi, even he believes that it is not necessary to waste time with flirtations.

They spent all night not doing questions about themselves but telling each other stories that gave away some interesting facts about each other, their lives, their careers, and allowed to know themselves better, like the fact that George is good at history, and Laurel, for some reason, knows how to speak Farsi.

"I thought you didn't like it," Richard raised an eyebrow.

"I still don't like the story, but the show is amazing," she continued smiling, much to her friend's surprise. This was being extremely disconcerting.

"What are you up to, lovey-dovey?" Gemma shoot, arriving next to Richard and Laurel. She was left off the conversation, and she wasn't willing to allow that, not at all. "You seemed to be enjoying that song back there."

"Me?" Richard frowned, confused.

"No," Gemma snorted and looked questioning at Laurel. "You."

"I'm fine," Laurel shrugged, without removing the smile from her face. Seems like there is no way of doing so.

"You hate cheesy stories," Gemma obviated and rolled her eyes.

"That doesn't make any sense, because we are starring a cheesy story," Laurel wittily replied.

"Come on," Gemma insisted and gave a small hit on Laurel's arm, just trying to get as much information as possible.

"Fine. I like George," she mumbled and bit her lip. Richard shrieked and laughed out loud, pointing at Gemma. "What is funny?"

"Pay," Richard held out his hand to Gemma.

"Pay?" Laurel looked at both and frowned.

"Argh, I hate you," Gemma grunted and rolled her eyes. "We made a bet. I bet you would never accept that you like that guy, and Richard bet you would."

Laurel was still confused. "I don't understand," she mumbled. "How could you possibly know that I like George before I even told you?"

"Oh, come on," Richard chuckled.

"Your face always changed when you received a message from him, even though you never really talked about it," Gemma amusedly shrugged. "Just that day at your penthouse, when I made you talk."

"I find this very disrespectful," Laurel said, outraged. "Why would you think I would never accept it?"

"Well, because you don't like to feel vulnerable," Gemma replied.

Laurel rolled her eyes. "I don't feel vulnerable," she defended herself. She actually feels comfortable and in peace when she is with George. She looked at Richard. "What made you think I would say it?"

"Because it's the love effect," he answered.

She sarcastically chuckled. "What's love got to do with it?" she snorted. "It's physical. It's an attraction caused by dopamine."

"What?" Richard complained.

"I am just being objective..."

"There is no such thing as objectivity, we are all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them," Gemma tried to explain.

Richard and Laurel looked at her, a little confused.

"Is that some spiritual claptrap?" Laurel asked. Gemma tilted her head. Laurel is a really smart and fact-based person. In small words, she is just objective.

"Dude, I didn't understand a word of what you said," Richard teased.

"Okay, enough chit chatting," the producer clapped his hands to get everyone's attention. "Let's continue with the rehearsal."