twenty-nine

December 6, 2019
New York City, New York

When Laurel arrived at her office next day after the rehearsal, the assistant wasn't there. Across her door, Chase and David's door was still closed. She just shrugged and opened her door with her key.

She put her tote in her desk -first time she uses a tote instead of her backpack- took out her MacBook and pulled the chair to sit down. She looked down and noticed her drawers were slightly opened. She frowned. No one else but her and the assistant has the keys. Needless to say, nobody is allowed to open the office unless Laurel herself asks for it.

A thought came to her mind. The money she had on the drawer. She gasped and stood up again, opening all the drawers and rummaging everything inside them.

"Crap," she whispered to herself.

She walked out, tapping her black heels on the floor with anger. That pair of dumbasses. She crossed her door and opened the one in front, entering without asking.

"What is it?" David's eyes widened.

"I had ten thousand dollars on my drawer, and they are gone."

"No one has entered your office," he frowned.

"So, am I supposed to believe that they grew legs and left on their own?" she hit the table with the palm of her hand. "And where the hell is Carla?" she asked for the assistant.

"She wasn't here when I arrived..."

"You were not here since the morning?" she yelled.

"You neither, you have been out the whole week...."

"Do I have to remind you that you work for me and my dad and if I am absent you and your brother have to stay right here?" Zen Laurel is out again. And she has never been seen this angry before.

"I'll call Carla," he said, confused. "Who the hell has ten thousand dollars in an office."

"That's not of your business," she replied. "It's my office and I can have whatever I want because no one but me is supposed to be there," Laurel has actually no idea of why she decided it was a great idea to have that amount of cash there, is just one of those sloppy mistakes that one can make but end up aging not that well.

She left David's office, slamming the door. She entered her office again and dropped herself on the couch. What the hell is going on?

She took no time connecting the dots. Carla the assistant is gone, as well as the money. That's the evidence. Watching 264 chapters of Bones on FOX is finally being useful. Case solved, now she just have to report the incident, open up a case file...oh, great, she hates bureaucratic procedures.

"I talked to Carla..." David entered her office, with his phone in his hands, just hanging up the call with the gone assitant.

"You have to be really dumb to not think that she did it since I told you what happened," Laurel rested her forehead on the palm of her hand, frustrated.

"She says that she is coming to explain..."

"What?" Laurel yelled, lifting up her head to see her ex-boyfriend, hotel manager and her dad's right-hand. A long list of duties he has.

"I am as confused as you are..."

David took a seat next to Laurel and they started to make theories about what is happening. Why would the assistant steal the money and then come back to explain? It doesn't make any sense and it's totally ludicrous.

Thirty minutes later, Carla arrived. Laurel tried to read her expression. Carla was scared. How couldn't she, if she just stole her boss' money? While David worried a little bit about her, Laurel showed no compassion. She just wants her to talk.

"Olivia the receptionist came saying that she received a call from a woman claiming it was you..." Carla pointed at Laurel. "And that you needed the money you had in the drawer."

"That is preposterous," Laurel said, curtly. Carla was talking just so easy. First rule from Bones on Fox: if the suspect is blaming it on someone else, something else must be going on and is trying to hide it. "I won't fire you because you are going to pay that money back. As well as Olivia."

"But it wasn't our fault, we just got the call..."

"Well, you should've call David or Chase," Laurel said.

"He wasn't in his office."

"Call him!" Laurel yelled. "On the phone."

"I...I'm sorry," Carla stammered, with her lips trembling. She never gets to se Laurel, and when she does, she is just yelling and blaming her for a crime she didn't commit.

"I don't need your apologies," Laurel shook her head. "Let me bitch slap some sense into you: if I needed money, I would have call Chase, David or my dad. Not you, pair of..."

"Laurel, slow down," David mumbled. She is being way too bitchy.

"Shut up," she muttered to him. "You better go and tell that girl Olivia from the front desk that she needs to pay my money, or I will discount it from your own salary, David."

"Miss. Blanhir, I swear..."

"Don't swear anything to me," Laurel's blood was boiling, like truly boiling. How could it be possible that someone just took her money because they received a call? It makes no sense, and from whatever point you read the situation, is stupid. "I was in my rehearsal when this happened, right?" she asked, and Carla nodded. "Why would you think that I needed ten thousand dollars if I was rehearsing?"

"Laurel," David tried to be reasonable. "We need to call your dad and Rafael to find the right punishment..."

"Go and do what I told you," Laurel said to him. "And relocate them both to a place where I can't see them and they don't have access to me, my office or my penthouse."

"Ms. Blanhir..." Carla tried to say.

"Get the hell out of my office," Laurel replied without turning to see her.

"I'm going to my desk..."

"Don't you listen?" Laurel raised her voice again. "Get the hell out, go do something in maintenance or I don't know. Get busy, out of my reach."

Yikes, she has never been this angry before. But being honest, who the hell keeps ten thousand dollars in their office? Just her. On the other hand, her office is forbidden for everyone, so, maybe she has the right to be angry. But not that angry.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

A/N: All of this chapter is based on real facts, haha, it happened to my dad on his company and I wanted to include the unfortunate incident in my story, because now we have no option but to laugh about it. He is not a hotelier tho, we wish, haha

A/N 2: You may have already noticed I am very inactive during weekends, haha 😅 so, in order to try and compensate that, I will post three chapters today, those that correspond to today, Saturday and Sunday. I am counting these days according to my current time zone, it is still Friday here in my city!

Anyway, thanks for reading, have a nice weekend and stay safe!