twenty-seven

December 3rd, 2019
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

"What if I don't want to be a Broadway performer anymore?" Laurel said and laid in the bed, next to Iray. "Maybe I want to be involved in dad's businesses as well."

They got back from having breakfast with Lawrence Stroll, a Formula One man that turned out to be their mum and dad's friend, but Laurel had no idea. Because she barely knows about their businesses. She only knows the necessary, because every month she needs to approve payments and paychecks, but nothing further.

"You shouldn't be saying that two months before your opening night," Iray frowned.

"You're right. Is nonsense," Laurel shook her head. "I just got a little bit overwhelmed by mum and dad's businesses and the fact I knew nothing."

In the breakfast they talked about businesses that Laurel didn't know, but apparently her siblings did know. The reason why Laurel doesn't know is because she is not an economist, nor a business entrepreneur, nor a lawyer. She is more of an artist with small hints of anthropology and neurosciences.

She felt a little bit uncomfortable because of that. Rafael knows, as he is the Deputy Director and Chief Operating Officer of the Miramar & Costa; Emilio knows, because he tries to be the Chief Legal Officer of the group, even if he is not really taken seriously. Iray just knows because she also works for the group and likes gossip, and obviously her mum and dad know because they are the owners of the Group.

"Stop," Iray hurried to say. "Businesses are not your thing, okay?"

Laurel nodded and they continued watching Money Heist on Netflix, bored by the ridiculous perspicacity of the Professor. They find annoying that whatever happens in the show, he already knew it.

"A telenovela is way better," Laurel raised an eyebrow, staring at the tv with a disgusting face.

"Point taken," Iray nodded. "Is as dramatic as this show, but without an annoying guy that turns out to know everything before it even happens."

"I am always right," Laurel nodded.

Iray rolled her eyes. "Talking about telenovelas, let's get back to your own telenovela story."

"Mine?"

"Yes," Iray looked at her sister, ignoring the tv again. "Are you going tomorrow to George's second post season test?"

"No," Laurel shook her head.

"Come on, he is testing for Mercedes. That is a big deal," Iray nudged Laurel.

"Yes, but I am sure that his meant-to be girlfriend is going to be there," she rolled her eyes. "The reason why his mum invited her is probably because she doesn't like me or something like that. The woman didn't even bother to look at me during the weekend, despite us being in the same space all the time," Laurel sighed.

That is actually true. For some reason that she doesn't understands, George's mum, Allison, doesn't seem to like Laurel at all, and she feels so uncomfortable by her disapproving looks, that prefers to avoid conflict. Classic Laurel.

"You are making assumptions," Iray chuckled. "You said yourself that most of the assumptions are wrong."

"But you should know by now that I am never wrong," Laurel cheekily smiled. "My gut tells me that there's got to be a reason why his mum invited that other girl, and I really want to avoid conflict."

"Since when you trust your gut?"

"I am trying to put more heart than brain in my choices and now you judge me?" Laurel raised an eyebrow.

"Putting more heart would mean that you go and be there with him, no matter what," Iray encouraged her sister.

Laurel swallowed. "I'm just not sure that I want to meet his parents yet."

"Now that sounds like a real argument."

"Are you teasing me?" Laurel stared at her sister. Iray shrugged.

"Just saying. We leave on Thursday morning and you're going to drive crazy with all the previews starting once you arrive in New York."

Laurel just nodded and took the tv control to change the show. They weren't even paying attention and that was just going to turn everything even more boring.

Then, she finally decided to text George to plan something to do later today, once he finishes his test for Williams. She wishes she didn't have to leave so soon, but with Broadway previews next week, she has a thousand things to do.

Previews does not mean that it is already the final version of the show, they are only general rehearsals open to the public to put to the test the story they have already created and that the fans decide if it is a good work or not. It is only to see what details can be added or removed.

It's their own pre-season tests.

●●●

"I hate that you are leaving," George said and pouted, taking a seat on the sand of the beach and pulling Laurel down to sit with him. "Is there any chance I can convince you to stay?"

Laurel shook her head and leaned it on George's shoulder. "I have like a gazillion appointments, interviews and stuff."

"I'll miss you," he sincerely said and turned his head to see Laurel.

"Me too," she said and rested her chin on his shoulder, so that she could stare into his beautiful blue eyes.

The breeze was blowing, the place was peace, quiet, open air, and the sun was setting on the horizon. It was like a perfect place and time. It felt like the goodbye in so many ways. At least the goodbye for a couple of days, or maybe even weeks, but of course not forever.

"I heard that a perfect tip for long-distance relationships is to set a date for the next time we'll meet," George suddenly said.

Laurel frowned. "You did research about that?"

"Yes, why?" he smiled.

"You are so thoughtful," she connected her green eyes to his again. "So effortlessly charming."

George shyly smiled and looked down, feeling heat rose over his cheeks. It is probably the first time Laurel says something like that, and to be fair, maybe it won't happen again.

"I didn't see that coming," he chuckled nervously, while his cheeks started to get a little rosy, so confused by her sudden romanticism.

"Every once in a while, you get to see the cheesy Laurel, and it's not very often," she amusedly said.

"I am used to being the one saying cute things," he teased.

"I can do that, too," she shrugged and put her hands on his cheeks, pulling him closer to her face and gave him a soft, long kiss on his lips.

They separated but kept their noses together. "I miss you already," George said, running his hands through Laurel's brown hair.

"That is so unnecessarily cheesy," she slightly laughed. Okay, back to normal.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

And I oop-

Oh my Goddd!! I am so thankful for 4.3K reads, this is so amazing, thanks for clicking on my story, voting and commenting, it means a lot!