fifty-six

June 15, 2020
New York City, New York

"I know there's something in the wake of your smile, I get a notion from the look in your eyes, yeah, you built a love, but that love falls apart, your little piece of heaven turns too dark..." Laurel sang and stared at the empty seats of the theatre in front of her. "Listen to your heart, when he's calling for you..."

"Listen to your heart, there's nothing else you can do," Richard cut her off, singing a part of the song, and walking towards her.

"I don't know where you're going, and I don't know why, but listen to your heart before you tell him goodbye..." they sang together. "Oh, oh...Listen to your heart, when he's calling for you, listen to your heart, there's nothing else you can do, I don't know where you're going, and I don't know why, but listen to your heart, before...oh...listen to your heart..."

"Listen to your heart..."

"Take a listen to it, oh..."

"I don't know where you're going, and I don't know why, but listen to your heart before...you tell him goodbye..."

"What are you doing here?" Richard teasingly asked and raised an eyebrow.

"What do you mean? I work here," Laurel shrugged.

The tension was evident. Richard knew something was going on, but Laurel didn't want to talk about it yet. She was just playing dumb and postponing in.

"It's Monday," Richard tilted his head.

Laurel took a deep breath and locked her eyes with his. "I came to quit," she said and looked away. It was harder than expected.

Richard's eyes widened, surprised for the words he heard. "What?" he frowned.

"I am going to the West End," Laurel replied and looked at him again.

"Really?" he asked. Laurel nodded slightly. "Wo-wow," he stammered. "Mamma mia?"

Laurel shook her head. "On your feet."

"With Gloria Estefan?" Richard's mouth opened. Laurel pressed her lips into a smile that looked more like a grimace and nodded again. "That is great, Laurel." She smiled at him. "You told Simon today?"

"Yes," Laurel said and snapped her tongue. "He took it smoothly, actually. He said he is happy for me and this big opportunity to work for the Estefans."

"It is a great opportunity," Richard agreed. "I'll miss you though."

"I will miss you all too." They reached the edge of the stage and sat down on the floor, with their legs hanging. Laurel leaned her head on Richard's shoulder, and he put his arm around her shoulders. "What do you think about it?"

"I think that when you get a chance like this, you can't just drop it away," he nodded. "And come on, don't you listen to yourself when you sing? Listen to your heart."

"The heart doesn't speak," Laurel teased.

"What does your family think about it?"

"My parents are delighted," Laurel chuckled. "Mum and dad love Gloria and Emilio. My twins are already fighting over who deserves more to be my legal representative," she laughed. Iray and Emilio have been very accommodating, gifting her things and trying to be the highest bidder. "My older brother is a little concerned that I am rushing everything. Like, this is all happening so fast..." she chewed on her lip. "But, contrary to what you think, I do listen to myself when I sing, and I found that every single night I sing about how when love comes so strong, there is no right or wrong..."

"Your love is your life," Richard teasingly said. "Very dramatic."

Laurel laughed. "I have learned a lot from Maria."

"For example?"

"Well, she is so determined, she has a big and pure heart, she sees the beauty in the world, she is so strong" Laurel excitedly numbered. "But at the end she loses her lover," her voice lowered.

"That is a dramatic turn," Richard nodded, agreeing with her. "As Tony, I have always wondered of what would have happened if Maria and Tony had a different ending, if they had one more night, even one more minute..."

"Alas, that 'would have' doesn't exist," Laurel shrugged. "But I have also wondered that myself," she admitted. "Probably if Maria and Tony had one more second, they would have made the most out of it."

"I learned from Tony that life is too short, so yeah, love harder and do what your heart says. If your heart is in London, follow him, because you don't know what will happen in ten days, ten month or ten years..."

"Live without regrets," Laurel nodded. "It's cliché, cheesy and ridiculous, but true."

"It is," Richard giggled. "When are you leaving?"

"July 12, exactly one month," Laurel replied. "Previews start September 14, opening night September 28, and we close November 30."

Richard frowned. "It's a short season..."

"January 2021, we start a UK and Ireland tour," she proudly smiled. "It's my first tour."

"You will be the best Gloria ever," Richard confidently said. "With all due respect to Ana Villafañe, the original Gloria." Laurel slightly laughed. "Who will be your Emilio?"

"It's a Colombian guy," Laurel mentioned. "But don't worry, you'll be my everlasting Tony."

"As it should," he laughed. "How are you going to tell Gemma?"

Laurel blew her cheeks. "I still don't know, I'd rather postpone it. For now, I think you'll be the only one too know, until I find a nice way to tell everyone," she mumbled. How is she going to tell to her best friend that she is leaving? Still no idea. "But, what were you doing here anyway?" she changed the subject.

"What do you mean? I work here," Richard teased, using the same words Laurel did.

"It's Monday," Laurel rolled her eyes.

"I'll meet Michael," Richard giggled. "He is recovered and coming back to the show."

"That's great," Laurel lifted up her head, excited. "I will have my last month here with my original cast."

"What do you mean your last month here?" Michael's voice was heard.

Laurel and Richard's eyes widened. Someone else will get to know the news before.