Chapter Three *Edited*

Human rejection can be 

God's divine protection

~Unknown

Chapter 3.

It's such a peaceful night that it almost makes me forget the previous event. The sky is clear and bright with stars, and the sound of the animals in the woods fills the air. It has nothing to envy from the boisterous sound of the music they're playing at the ball. I know I shouldn't be taking this long to pack up my stuff and get a head-start, but the days that will follow will be hectic, and this is the only moment I'll get to myself. Even if I was to get caught, I'm willing to die trying to escape. There's no way I'm staying here for one more second. I know I'm worth much more than they value me, and now that the mate bond is out of the question, it makes me more determined to make it big and show them what I can do. It won't be a walk in the park -I'm not that foolish- but hard work always pays off.

"I don't want to ruin this moment, but you should go. It's nearing one in the morning, and people will start heading off. I don't know how much time you will have left by then." Astra advises me.

Let's get this show on the road, shall we?

I grab the discarded heels and dash to the packhouse with my room as the final destination. Do I even have a duffle bag to begin with? I believe there might be a broken suitcase somewhere around here, but it won't be helpful to me in wolf form.

"Go to your brother's room to check if he has anything. I don't think he'll notice, but even if he did, you'll be long gone by then."

And this is why, Ladies and Gentleman, Astra and I make a good team. Because when I'm missing something, she's always there to point it out and offer solutions, like now.

I discreetly sneak into Liam's room, searching his wardrobe for a duffle bag, when I come across an old shoe box. People say curiosity killed the cat, but I'll open it anyway. I sit on the floor with the box in my lap.

I can't believe he kept all of this! I wondered where it all went.

When our parents were in the pack, we lived on pack grounds but not in the packhouse. We had had a separate house. After their disappearance, we forcefully moved to the packhouse while the Alpha turned our home into Chase's house for when he found his mate. When they threw me into the basement, they threw a trash bag with some of my clothes in the room and some necessities, but never photographs or heirlooms. I don't know how Liam accepted it because they kicked him out only for his best friend to take his place, but he did. To my knowledge, he didn't get anything other than his things from there.

I guess I was wrong. There are no heirlooms, but there are photographs of Liam as a child, our parents, family photos, and my photos. With how much hatred he has shown toward me, I expected he would have burned them. Maybe he does have a soft spot after all. But it's not enough. Not when you don't help that person. I wouldn't be okay with myself if I stayed back when the person I care about is having a hard time. Perhaps my disappearance might shake his world, and he may understand what he did wrong or what he didn't do. If that were to happen, I wouldn't know. I don't plan on keeping any relationships after abandoning the pack. I would love to remain in contact with Mr. and Mrs. Hart, but I'm afraid it will put all of us in danger. I'll leave a letter explaining to them my reasoning. They're rational people. Hopefully, they'll understand.