Chapter One *Edited*

You never know how strong

you are until being strong is

your only choice

~ Bob Marley

Chapter 1.

Doesn't everyone hate Monday mornings?

It's the first day after the weekend, and you must wake up earlier to get ready and grab breakfast before rushing to school in time for the first period. After that, you'll spend half the day there and return home to deal with more homework.

If only things were that simple for me. I don't have a problem with school and assignments because I get distracted from the mess in my life, but what I have a problem with is juggling pack work with school. They're both demanding and usually, I'll have to settle with being behind on one of the two to make it. I don't have to tell you what I abandoned because you know my life. Choosing school would equal jumping off a cliff; it results in lots and lots of consequences.

To help you understand better what I mean, a typical Monday morning for me goes like this: I wake at five in the morning, barely awake, might I add, to get a headstart with breakfast before the pack awakens, wait to clean up and eat whatever scraps they have left before I can walk to school and spend approximately seven hours there. Afterward, I return to the packhouse to tackle more chores. Would you be able to manage everything, or is it only me that is struggling?

There's a twist to this week, though, to spice things up. Chase, the Alpha's son, is turning eighteen in two days, and the pack will host a massive ball in his honor to help him find his mate. Coincidentally, we share the same birthday. That means I'll spend these two days, plus my birthday, catering to Chase's needs. I can't lie and say that I love sharing my birthday with someone else, but sharing it with your tormentor is on another level. I have to withstand his abuse and watch him joke around with my brother as they do so. My brother hasn't hit me yet, but watching your best friend target your little sister and do nothing signals you're as guilty as he is. But I like telling myself that everything happens for a reason. A storm has to pass for the rainbow to appear. They'll get what's coming for them sooner or later.

Regarding my morning routine, nothing has changed. I'm standing behind the stove, flipping pancakes while frying bacon and sausages. Similar to previous days, I want to cheat and eat something, but I chicken out at the prospect of them catching me in the act. It's not impossible to happen if you consider Chase's habit of scaring me to make me cause a mess and then punish me.

Believe it or not, his parents have limited his abuse toward me, not because they like me, but because we go to school with kids from neighboring packs. If they catch a whiff of what's transpiring here, it'll reach the ears of the Alpha King and the Luna Queen. Since their daughter was abducted from her room in the middle of the night, they have become extra sensitive to abuse toward children. They won't be forgiving Chase or his parents or their pack easily. I've pondered opening about the abuse, but if it reaches the wrong ears, they will get rid of me. It will be my last resort if things go south with my mate.