Chapter Forty-One

I hate being suspicious about things,
but damn, that gut feeling is always right.
~Unknown

It's been more than a month since the time I last talked to Logan face-to-face, but we have kept in contact. This month has been good for our relationship, we have gotten closer, and I'm delighted to finally see traces of the old Logan, the Logan that cared for me and loved me endlessly. We haven't made any progress with Chase or this supposed girl. It's like she never existed. We have asked around anyone and everyone we could think of, but we came up empty-handed. But no one is perfect, not even them. We are waiting for the mistake to happen, the mistake that will give them away. In the meantime, Logan is keeping us up to date with what's happening within the pack. Many rogues are entering the pack and what's even weirder is these rogues are well-known for the inhumane crimes they have committed toward other wolves, yet they leave the pack unharmed. When Logan attempted to capture them, Chase ordered him not to. This proves our theory, but we don't have enough evidence to bring it to the council.

"Babe, come check this out?" I stare at the computer screen that he has been focused on for the past six to seven hours. Chris is determined to put an end to all these schemes and wars. He wants to be able to live our love without the fear of a sudden attack. I can't say I blame him. I want more than anything to start a life with the man that was truly destined to be by my side. Chase pretending to be my true mate was a major setback, and he's still standing in the way. "Wait... that's the woman! How did you find her?" I stare at the brunette woman, the one responsible for all the unfortunate events that have happened to us. "I had a feeling that I've seen this woman again. Turns out I have. A few years back, my pack had visited the witch council. She was one of those witches." "But why didn't she exist in the records if she was that high in the hierarchy?" "She must have destroyed all the records. And conveniently enough for her, all the witches that were in the council with her turned up dead a few months later. No one knew how, when, or why they died. Anyone who could pinpoint her wasn't alive anymore."

Damn! It takes a lot of power and guts to eliminate such powerful witches. There's no way she didn't have alliances when she pulled those moves. I bet they didn't see it coming. That one of theirs would backstab them like that. "Emilia Clarke, huh? Does she have any family? Someone that can tell us where she might be?" He shakes his head. "Both parents are deceased and she was an only child. So were her parents. We won't be able to find her unless she wants to be found." At least now we know who we are dealing with.

Later that night, when I return to my room to get some well-needed rest, I'm met with a surprise. A sudden visit from the person we are having a hard time locating. "If it isn't Ava, or would you prefer me to call you by your name?" Emilia Clarke, that good-for-nothing witch. "If it isn't the wicked witch of the west. I guess you got too cocky showing up at the palace with such tight security." She scoffs, giving me an arrogant smirk. "I'm offended you find me that stupid to show up without backup." "Cut the crap! Why are you here? What is that you're hoping to achieve with your visit?" She plops down on the bed, staring at the ceiling as if it's the most fascinating thing. "I had such a hard time killing all those witches. I pray you won't have to go through what I went through. I figured why don't I save myself the trouble? You get to walk away unharmed and you'll save yourself the heartache saying goodbye to a loved one."

That's the difference between them and us. When it comes to them, it's all about power. It's all about their egoistic selves. But for us, the throne is something more than power. It's a promise to the people who believe in us to protect them from harm's way. Even if that means losing our lives in the process. "If you came out of hiding just for that, I'm afraid you came here for nothing. When it comes to the people, there's no negotiating. I already know the answer and it's such a cliche, but I have to state the obvious. If you give yourself up there might be a way to negotiate a more favourable punishment for the attrocious things you and your minions have comitted."

"Chase was right! You're too good, so much that it's sickening me! Don't say that I didn't warn you. I'm not responsible for what it's about to happen next." Well... her grand exit won't be so uneventful as her entrance. It stings that people think I'm that dumb not to expect her visit. I predicted it, and I prepared a gift for her.

"You bitch!"

I'm back! I've been gone for quite a while, but I'm here now

I'm back! I've been gone for quite a while, but I'm here now. I'm sorry it took me a while to update, but from now onwards, many updates are coming your way.

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed it! I'll see you again in the next update. Stay safe!