Chapter Twenty-Three

Pain changes people,

it makes them trust less,

overthink more, and shut

people out.

~UNK

King's pov.

"Boo!" I whisper at my lovely mate's ear, scaring. She jumps in surprise and turns around, glaring at me. "Don't do that! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?!" "No, I'm sorry." She turns her back on me and continues with what she's doing. I love scaring her, but She hates when I do that. I've spent countless nights sleeping on the sofa for that. I've tried stopping it, but the temptation is far too great to stop. "What are you doing?" "Not that's any of your business, but I'm baking chocolate chip cookies." She points to a tray full of baked cookies. I immediately reach for them. Her cookies are like heaven on a plate! We have chefs, and we've had bakeries deliver pastries, but none of them taste like hers. "Stop! You'll eat when I'm finished! You're just like your daughter!" Hugging her from behind, I kiss her neck lightly, making her shudder. "You know nobody can resist your cooking." "Don't try! It's not going to work on me!"

Our heart rates pick up when we hear a scream originating from Sophia's room. We hurry to her room with guards following us closely. Slamming the door open, we see her turn around, and her face is pale. "Are you okay? What happened?" We rush to her side while surveying the room for anything out of place or weird. " It was a spider. You know how girls are with spiders." She laughs. Both I and my mate noticed everything. From the color of her face to the fake laugh, and hiding a piece of paper behind her back. Something is going on here, and it hurts that she doesn't feel comfortable enough to share it with us. "Something's wrong!" My mate says through the mindlink. "I know! Don't ask anything. She won't tell us. I'll have people investigate." I fake a laugh for her to think I bought her a lie, but my lovely mate decided to do what I told her not to. " "Are you a hundred percent sure that was what it was? You know you can talk to us." Guilt flashes through her eyes, and for a moment I thought she would tell us. "I know, mum. Don't worry about it. It was only a spider. If anything happens, I'll come to you." "Are you sure nothing's going on?" I interrupt her because I know if I let it continue, then she'll understand that we're suspicious, and she will hide everything. "Our daughter is fine. She would tell us if anything was wrong. Now, let's go. Let's leave her to have a shower. We're dying to have a taste of your masterpieces."

"Why did you do that? You know that she was lying!" She yells at me as soon as the door closes. The guards leave to give us some privacy. "I know that honey, I do. But she wasn't going to tell us anything. I'll send someone to her room when she's here to check everything." I can tell she wants to press it further but decides to let it go for now. We go to the kitchen and wait for Sophia to finish her shower and eat the cookies together. "When Sophia is here, I'll mindlink you to check her room for anything weird." I mindlink the royal Beta. "Did anything happen? Is everything okay with Sophia?" "I don't know. That's what we want to find out." I say and close the mindlink.

"Should we check on her? It's been two hours!" I nod. I have an awful; feeling. Walking up the stairs, I knock on the door but get no answer. I want to respect her privacy and not enter her room since I haven't been permitted to enter, but I have an uneasy feeling. "Sophia?" I shout as I open the door to her room. Once again, I get no answer. Why is it so chilly in here? I notice the balcony doors are open. I notice a rose on the floor along with a note. I check the room for any sign of Sophia but find none. I remember the clearing, and although it is beautiful, it's also dangerous. I mindlink everyone to go there while I also make my way there. "What is going on?" "Sophia's gone. Someone has been threatening her and she's on her way to meet them in the clearing." "What?!" She screams in worry, and she's about to collapse, but I catch her in time and set her on a chair. Ordering a maid to bring her a glass of water, I place a kiss on her lips. "Don't worry, I'll bring our little girl back safely." I run out of the palace while my mate yells behind me. "Be careful!"

Transforming into my wolf, I run to the clearing. "Did you find her?" I ask as soon as I'm in my human form. "No." My Beta shakes his head. "Her scent was faint and it was mixed with somebody else's scent but we aren't able to pinpoint who this scent belongs to." "I want everyone surveying the woods. We need to find Sophia and quick. Time is running fast and we have to be quicker." I, the royal Beta, and a few royal guards make our way back to the palace to form a plan and check her room better. "Where is she? Did you find Sophia?" My mate asks, looking behind me for any sign of her. "You need to be calm. We didn't find her, but I promise you that I'll do anything in my power to bring her back home safely." "You said that before!" She screams and bursts into heavy cries. "Where is my little girl? She must be so scared!"

Surprise! Another update! I thought it would be a nice Valentine Day's present! Also, I wanted to thank you for your support of my book

Surprise! Another update! I thought it would be a nice Valentine Day's present! Also, I wanted to thank you for your support of my book. Don't think I haven't noticed! More than six hundred reads! That's crazy! I've never imagined that it would happen, and I'm so grateful for you all. It motivates me to improve myself and my writing and provide you with more content. I can't wait to see what's in store next for my story! This chapter is a bit different than usual. It's from Ava's father's point of view. Reading comments and getting tips from a wonderful writer, I figured we need to shed light on Ava's rescue. So, this and the next chapter will be all about Ava's rescue. Again, thank you so much for everything. Love you!