Chapter Eight *Edited*

You will be fine

You will be fine. There may be 

decisions to make and surprises 

in-store. Life takes us to unexpected

places sometimes.

~Erin Morgenstern

Chapter 8.

I wake up to the sound of a blaring alarm clock and reach for my phone on the nightstand. I turn off the alarm and place the phone face down. As I throw the covers aside, I wait for my eyes to adjust to the light before making my way to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for everyone. I haven't been staying with them for a while now, and I am not sure if they will let me continue to stay here, but today, I want to thank them for giving me a chance in the first place.

As I start prepping in the kitchen, I hear Zoey stumbling down the stairs. She looks like she's in pain and sits on the island, placing her forehead on the table.

"Do you want an Advil?" I question, amused and worried at the same time.

"Yes, please." Her voice muffled.

I prepare a plate for her, placing it next to the mug with the painkiller.

"Drink and then eat. I don't want you taking a painkiller on an empty stomach." I remind her.

She gulps the painkiller-infused water, and an 'ah' sound emits from her throat. "How are you still functioning and not suffering from a splitting headache?" She asks in astonishment.

"I didn't drink, remember?" I reply, amused.

"You should have followed her lead. You wouldn't look like a panda right now if you did," Alpha Xavier jokes from the staircase, escaping a jab in the ribs from Zoey's playful retaliation as he joins us at the island.

"If you weren't busy being mean, you would have a plate of the delicious breakfast my best friend made for me."

After that, the room falls silent, except for Zoey munching on her food. I can feel the weight of guilt on my chest, knowing I betrayed their trust by going out without permission. I can't help but apologize, "I'm sorry about yesterday. We shouldn't have gone anywhere without your permission. I'm not saying this to gain points or ask for a second chance or anything of that sort. You trusted me, and I went back on my words. For that, I'm sorry."

Alpha Xavier's playful expression turns serious in seconds. He stares at me without saying a word, and then, his expression cracks slightly, a small smile finding its way to his face.

"Yesterday's events didn't surprise me. I know how crazy Zoey gets and how stubborn she is. Once she sets her mind on something, she'll see it through. You didn't stand a chance," he admits. "That doesn't mean that you will come out unscathed. There's a reaction to every action, and you need a punishment to understand how and why your actions were foolish, but that's for later." He pauses for a few seconds and then continues, "I like you, though. I like that you had the guts to realize and apologize openly for your mistakes."