Chapter Forty

Forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hatred.

It is a power that breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness.

~Corrie Ten Boom

"Logan, it's Sophia. Do you have time to talk?" "Sophia?" Surprise is evident in his voice. He wasn't expecting my call. He tried to get my forgiveness, and I wasn't having any of it. At that time, I was still being hunted by my past experiences, and the least I wanted to do was forgive someone responsible for them. Now that I'm in a better place in my life, I'm ready. I'm ready to forgive. Not to forget because that's not possible. These scars will remain in my life, but it's my decision whether I'll let them affect me or not. I want to continue with my life, and when the time comes, my one desire is to be the best queen this werewolf community deserves. For me to move on, I need to forgive people. Logan showed me that he regrets his past actions, and I can't forget how much of a good brother he was before everything went downhill. "I can tell you weren't expecting my call." "Yes, I thought you hated me." He sighs on the phone. "I didn't hate you. I hated your actions. That's a big difference. About that talk, can we meet up in an hour in our usual place? Don't mention anything to anyone, especially Chase." "Okay, I'll see you there." Based on his confusion, I don't think he was aware of Chase's actions.

"Are you going somewhere?" Dad catches me on my way out. "Yes. I'm meeting with Logan to talk." "Shouldn't you take some guards with you? You don't know his intentions." His worries are justified. Logan isn't the most innocent person in the world, but I don't think he would do anything to harm me in any way. "He's harmless, don't worry. I'll be on my way now. If I'm gone for too long come find me here." I say, showing him a specific area in the woods. "You know where that is right?" He nods. "I do." "I'll be off now. Remember, only if it has passed a lot of time without any sign of me!" He nods, hesitant. "Take care." "I will." I kiss his cheek and then exit the palace, ready to come face to face with my brother. For some bizarre reason, I'm not anxious nor worried about facing Logan. When everything was going down, I do admit I was scared of his actions. But I was still holding on, hoping he'll realize how inappropriate his actions were. Only when he lost the only family he had left did he realize the severity of his actions.

I've been staring at his figure for the past ten minutes, hoping I would gather the amount of courage required to face him. Every time I'm about to make my first step something's holding me back, like an invisible rope. I'm afraid that he'll think that I stood him up and he'll leave. A part of me wants that to happen, for him to leave because then I would have an excuse regarding me not meeting him. "Logan," I acknowledge his presence. "Thank you for meeting me here." It's obvious from a mile away that he wants to address the elephant in the room, but he doesn't know where to begin from. "It was the least I could do after all that you've been through because of me. And for all of that, I sincerely apologize. I can't blame it on my youth because that's a lame-ass excuse. I was grown man making some very idiotic decisions that cost me my sister." "I forgive you for everything. I can't forget, but I'm willing to work on amending our relationship. I don't want to lose you," I sincerely say, giving him my most encouraging smile.

" I'm here for another reason, though. Something is going on with Chase, and I need your Help two figure it all out. Have you noticed any weird behavior like being secretive or associating with people he normally wouldn't?" " Now that you are mentioning it, there is this girl that has visited him quite a few times since you left. I can't catch her scent, but I'm a hundred percent sure she isn't one of us. I have tried countless times to question him about her.

identity but he gets defensive every single time. Do you have any idea what he's up to? " This sudden change in his behavior is anything but normal. Chase is more capable of covering his tracks, but recent events indicate that he isn't unreachable. He didn't expect us to uncover his schemes, yet somehow it happened." Someone has been working with the rogues, and they are the mastermind behind the neighboring attacks. We have leads pointing towards him." " I didn't expect him to stoop so low. He isn't the guy he used to be." "Maybe he was, though, and all of us were too blind to notice it." "Maybe." He exclaims thoughtfully. " I know it's too much to ask, but can you keep an eye on him? Keep track of his actions and notify us if anything bizarre arises." " Of course, you don't even have to ask me about it. It's the least I could do after everything I have put you through!" I hope that we are correct, and we won't be putting him into more trouble.

 It's the least I could do after everything I have put you through!" I hope that we are correct, and we won't be putting him into more trouble

Thank you so much for 2K reads! I didn't expect one bit, but yet here we are. I know I have been inconsistent with my updates, and for about a month or so, I will continue being inconsistent until my exams are over. Until then, please bear with me. Thank you so much for reading, and I hope I'll see you again soon in the next update. Until then, please be safe!!