Chapter Eighteen *Edited*

This is anything but easy, 

but you are anything but weak. 

~ Unknown

Chapter 18.

"Mum, have you packed everything?" I'm sure it is the hundredth time she has asked me today as she anxiously picks on her nails.

"I have everything I might need, courtesy to you. If I have missed anything, I can have someone get it for me," I reassure Mum, but her concern doesn't waver.

"Can we go over the list one more time? For me?" she pleads with a hopeful gaze.

"You said that last time," I remind her.

"This will be the last time. I swear. I just need reassurance." She explains, looking more anxious than ever. It is the first time I've seen her behaving this way. She usually bears herself with grace and calmness. The only other time I saw her crumble was the first time we met after eighteen years. Back then, I was too overwhelmed to register everyone's reaction. Now that I'm calmer, it's even more terrifying because I feel useless. I don't know what to do or say to ease her worries. It's been way too long since I had to comfort someone.

"Mum, we can't do it again. I don't have much time before I have to leave. If we do that now, I won't have time to bid goodbye to you. Trust me and relax," I say, trying to soothe her.

She huffs and rolls her eyes. "Relax is only one word. You'll understand when you have kids yourself. Now, you think I'm being petty."

Not for a second did I think she was petty. She was being a mother, and yes, I don't understand because I'm not yet. "Of course not, Mum. I don't believe you're being petty. Come here-" I open my arms for a hug. She willingly accepts it, burying her face into my shoulder. "I promise nothing will happen to me these days I'll be away. We'll be in constant contact the whole trip. Before you know it, I'll be back."

"You're saying that, but..." She detaches herself. "I can't bear to lose you again. I've been through it once, but won't make it out alive the next time."

Does she...? "What do you mean? What could happen to me while visiting friends?" I ask, confused.

We lock eyes, and her stare is icy as she exclaims, "You're going to Alaska to search for your adoptive parents."

"Ho- How did you know?" I stutter, and my face turns pale.

"I saw the documents on your father's desk. He can't hide anything to save his life. Coincidentally enough, a little while later you asked to leave with only one guard and Julian also claimed he had to return to his pack. I believe in coincidences, but this one isn't."

"You've never seen Julian and I exchange a single word. How did you connect us?"

She shrugs. "I figured Julian has a lot of connections to help you. I didn't buy the whole story of therogue attack so I called an acquaintance of mine to confirm it."