Chapter Thirty

He walked into my heart like he always belonged there,

took down my walls and lit my soul on fire.

~T.M.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Chris stops me before I can enter the dining room. It's probably the only time he'll be able to catch me. These days I have been avoiding him like the plague. I feel guilt and shame whenever I see his face. I'm aware that it wasn't my fault, and it couldn't be helped, but when he confronted me about it, I was quick to shut him down and label him as a psycho. That was entirely my fault. "Can't it wait? Everybody must be waiting for us to start eating." "It won't take long. All I ever I wanted to ask you is if you were available tonight. I would like for to dine together and get to know each other better away from our families." What if he asks me about Chase? What am I going to say then?

"Don't even think about denying his invitation! You are going out with him and you're going to have a blast!" Astra doesn't understand. For her, everything is a piece of cake. I'm the one who has to deal with everything. "I can't, Astra. Everytime I see his face I embarrassment!" "And? You got a chance to have a mate, your actual mate, and you're going to throw it away because of something that was out of your control. I don't know about you, but I want to have what we read in books and see movies. I want to experience love, pure love. And I'd be damned if I let you ruin it for me!" As harsh as she sounded, she was right. I tend to be selfish, thinking that I'm all alone, but I'm not. There's both of us, me and Astra, and she has a right to take part in my decisions. "I'll come." A big smile makes its way to his face. At the sight of his smile, I feel giddy inside. Even Astra has returned to her bubbly self. "Great! I'll meet you at the entrance at seven o'clock."

"You look gorgeous!" I feel my cheeks redden, and I try to cover my red cheeks with my hair

"You look gorgeous!" I feel my cheeks redden, and I try to cover my red cheeks with my hair. During the car ride, he constantly steals glances at me. It's nice to feel wanted for once. With Chase, I never felt pretty. In my mind, everything was a competition between me and his past flings. I felt that I had to be prettier than them, and I was always displeased with my looks. Looking back, now I know that that was toxic behavior.

We exit the car, and Chris clasps our hands together, interlacing our fingers, and leading us inside the restaurant. Despite us not being a couple, it feels wrong to pull away. We pass all the waiters as they nod in respect at the sight of him. Weird, though. This is not a werewolf city. It's a human one. "Why isn't someone guiding us to our table? Why are they showing you so much respect?" I voice out all at once. "Slow down with the questions, speedy." He laughs, but it's not so funny for me. I'm so sick of being in the dark all my life. My parents, my mate ... I'm set for life. "Although we're in a human city, this is the only all-wolf restaurant. Everyone who works here is a werewolf, or is aware of our existence." "Even the owner?" He sends me a cryptic smile, sending my mind into a frenzy. "I'm the owner, so you can make your assumptions."