Chapter Twelve *Edited*

It's easy to show skin

It takes bravery to show

humility, vulnerability,

compassion, heart,

kindness, & self-respect.

~Mandy Hale

Chapter 12.

I wake up the next day feeling more refreshed than ever. Since I left the Blue Moon pack, I've slept peacefully, but last night's sleep was exceptional. The minute my head touched the pillow, I was out like a light, and I didn't move a muscle while asleep, even though I usually toss and turn. It might have something to do with the place. I discovered I was a princess and reunited with my family. My mind and heart are at ease, knowing I'm where I belong.

I stride to the bathroom to wash my face from sleepiness, still in yesterday's clothes.

Suddenly, a knock followed by a voice interrupts the peacefulness in the air.

"Miss, the King and Queen are summoning you to the dining room for breakfast!"

I reply, "I'm coming! Just give me two minutes, please!" I quickly put my messy hair in a ponytail and hurry to meet Marquise.

I can't leave without him. I have no idea how I'll find my way around the palace.

"Thank you so much for waiting. I hope I wasn't late."

Marquise smiles politely. "Not at all."

I'm more uncomfortable this time because I'm treading behind Marquise alone. This silence feels suffocating, and I badly want to fill it, but I don't know how to initiate a conversation.

"We have arrived." He opens the door and bows down to me. I guess I don't need to break the silence after all.

"Please get up. I'm not a queen or anything."

Marquise shakes his head, not meeting my eyes. "You are the princess, and one day, will be Queen."

I say nothing else. Marquise looks like a person who lives by his beliefs. I thank him and walk inside the room.

On the massive, French-style dining table, the King and Queen are sitting. No one else is there, no Zoey or Alpha Xavier, and not the King and Queen's children.

"Good morning, king and queen," I bow down and sit on the Queen's left side.

"Don't be so formal with us. Call us Mum and Dad." The Queen suggests with a hopeful smile.

I contemplate how to avoid calling them Mum and Dad without offending them. One way is to call them that, but it feels strange and forced. If it were up to me, I would do that in a heartbeat, but it's not that simple when it comes to my heart. Someone else had occupied the parenting role in my heart. I can't break that habit overnight.