Chapter Seventeen *Edited*

The thing about being brave

is it doesn't come with the

absence of fear and hurt. 

Bravery is the ability to look

fear and hurt in the face and

say move aside, you are in the way.

~Melissa Tumino

Chapter 17.

I can't believe my luck -or was it my misfortune?

I feel as if I'm back in middle school, stealing glances at the popular boy I was crushing on and looking away each time he caught me staring at him, but I can't stop my gaze from wandering over to Julian. Both families are having lunch together, and it just so happens he's sitting in front of me. Maybe they're doing it on purpose to rile me up. If that's the case, it's working.

As we're enjoying our meal, Mum suddenly asks Julian, "Have you found your mate yet?"

I hold my breath. I know the answer, but I want to hear the response. I know we agreed on keeping the mate bond a secret for now, but I'm not going to lie. I'll be furious if he doesn't acknowledge me. Maybe he can say there's someone he's interested in or he's searching for her, but recognize that there's someone in his life.

"Yes, I've found her." Julian casually drops the bomb.

His parents drop their forks on their plates with a loud clinking sound. Sylvie stares at him perplexed while my parents happily smile at him. I'm jealous of the twins who are happily munching on their food without a care. Anything is better than the choking sound I make when I hear him admit it.

"Are you okay, Sophia?" Mum worriedly asks, ready to rush to my side, but I stop her.

I drink lots of water and hit the center of my chest. In less than a minute, I'm back to good health. "I'm fine, sorry for worrying you. The steak went down the wrong pipe." I lie.

Julian is the only one who holds my gaze, and he mouths, "Are you okay?" To which I nod.

"Where were we?" Emma wonders, scratching her head.

"The part where our son found his mate and hadn't mentioned anything to us." Julian's dad pointedly stares at him.

"It's fresh, and we're seeing where things go. Once the relationship is steady and she's ready, you'll be the first to know." He promises.

"Do we know her? Is she from our pack?" His mum presses further.

"No information until I get the green light from her. I'm sorry Mum, but you'll have to wait more to meet your new daughter."