Chapter Thirty-One

I asked God

"Why do you still love me, why after all the things I've done you still want my heart?"

He answered me

"I made you for me. And as long as you let me, I will save you from yourself."

~Unknown

"Good morning!" I greet everyone at the table. I'm not typically this cheerful in the morning, but it's all thanks to yesterday's outing. My time with Chris was refreshing for my mental health. I went out with someone who cared for me and made effort to get to know me. Not once did he ask me about my past, no matter how curious he was. I have mad respect for him because I know he has many questions about my past life and my "mate", but he's willing to wait until I'm ready to open up to him.

"You're happy this morning," Mum comments while dad wiggles his eyebrows jokingly at me. He knows about yesterday, Chris told me so, but he promised not to mention it until we're ready. I don't want to rush into anything as of now. I want to take it as slow as possible until I'm convinced there won't be a repeat of last time. "Shouldn't I be? It's a beautiful day outside, and we're all healthy. That's a good enough reason for me, isn't it?" The only available seat is directly opposite Chris. He's smiling at me, but I'm too ashamed after I kissed him yesterday. It was only on the cheek, but still. I blame my impulse on Astra. She was the one telling me to kiss him. "As if you didn't like it." "I don't appreciate your sarcasm," I state, but as always, she shrugs it off.

"We're going to have tea in the garden later on. Would you like to join us?" "I'm going out for a run. Thanks, though." It's been a while since I let my wolf out. She's as much suffocated as I am. She's been pestering me about it for the last few days, but yesterday's outing helped get her off my back a little bit. "Can I join you?" Cathrine asks me. A female companion? Why not? I could use a friend right now. Zoey is busy with Luna's duties, and with this whole distance, it's not easy to get together. "Of course!" "Can I tag along?" "No!" We scream at the same time and look at each other, bursting into fits of laughter.

 "Of course!" "Can I tag along?" "No!" We scream at the same time and look at each other, bursting into fits of laughter

"Ready?" I ask Cathrine, who's in a similar outfit to mine. "Sophia?" I look in the direction the voice is coming, and I identify it as my dad's. "Yes, dad?" "You're going out?" I nod. He looks troubled. "Can some guards accompany you to your run?" "No, dad. Please!" The last thing I want is for someone to watch my every move. This run is supposed to relax me, not worry me more. "Both I and your mum would feel more comfortable knowing that you'll be protected." "But everyone is on the lookout for Chase. And I have powers, remember?" "Your dad's right," Cathrine mutters. "I don't what you went through, but I know it messed with your parent's minds. Imagine what would happen if the same thing happened again."

"Fine." I groan, giving in. "But they'll be far enough so as not to be seen by me." "Thank you." He breathes out in relief. I exit the palace with Cathrine hot on my trail. We change into our wolf forms and start running. We playfully chase each other and any other animal we come across. We continue running until we come across that same clearing. The clearing where everything went down. Cathrine notices my hesitance. She must have figured out that something happened here. "Do you want to leave? We can find somewhere else to live." I shake my head. I can't run forever from my fears. I can't ruin the peacefulness this clearing provides me because of some memories. "No, we'll stay." I mindlink her as we both turn back into our human forms.

"Is it true?" "Is what true?" I ask. "That you and my brother are mates." I nod. "It's true," I answer, and then there's silence... Although I don't want anyone to know right now, I don't want to lie either. If I do that, I feel like I'm denying him and the mate bond. I've been there. I've felt it, and it's not a nice feeling. I wouldn't want anyone to feel like I did back then. "It was about time." "Huh?" "It was about time he found his mate." She looks genuinely happy for her brother. I never saw Logan like that, even when we had a good relationship. "He has been looking for his mate for so long. He traveled many packs looking for the one for him, but he always left heartbroken. He felt disappointed and discouraged to continue, but not once did he start anything with any other girl."

"I love him!" Astra whispers adoringly. "I love him too!" "What?" He's exactly how I imagined him to be, and the exact opposite of Chase. When it comes to him, there's no confusion. I know what my feelings are towards him, and I know how deep they run. That doesn't mean that I'll make it any easier for him. I'm never making that mistake again, no matter my feelings. "I-" I stop abruptly. "Did you hear that?" She nods. We follow the sound of rustling. "There." She points at the bush. We go around the bush and see-

What do you think they saw? What could it be? Please share your thoughts with me in the comments

Thank you so much for giving my book a chance! I truly hope that you found it to your liking!

Thank you for everything!