Chapter Thirty-Four

Sometimes we are just the collateral damage

in someone else's war against themselves.

~Lauren Eden

"Are you certain about what you're saying? Because what you're saying is crucial." I nod confidently. I trust these kids and what they're saying. Why would they claim to be someone they're not? "Yes, I am. Mum!" "Yes, honey." "You saw me and Cathrine entering the castle with two little children, right?" She nods. "That I did." "I asked them their names. The little boy told us he's named Constantine Zachary Rhinestone. He also told us that their parents were murdered." I'm one hundred percent sure they're the couples' children. Now, I have to prove it to them. "Well, let's go ask them then."

"Constantine, Mariah? I have someone that wishes to speak with you." I say to the two kids, busy playing on the bed with Chris. I'm afraid they'll get scared because they're all skittish. As I enter with my dad hot on my trails, the kids seem to go back to their quiet shells. "Constantine, Mariah, hi. I'm Sophia's daddy." He says, pointing to me. "Are you having fun here?" Mariah nods, playing with the bed covers. He and I can tell that they're not trusting him. "Should I ask them?" I mindlink dad. "I guess you should. Here-" he says, handing me his cellphone. "This phone contains photos of the alpha couple we think were the parents. Show them the pictures to see if it's true."

"Constantine, baby. I want to show you something." Unlocking the phone, I find a picture of a young couple smiling at the camera. It doesn't require a genius to understand that these people are their parents. Constantine is the replica of his mum, while Mariah is a mix of both their parents. From her dad's blonde hair to her mum's green eyes. She's going to have boys falling at her feet when she's older. "Is this your mummy and daddy?" His little eyes scan the photo, lingering at the sight of his parents, sadness evident in his little eyes. He nods. "Yes, this is my mummy and that is my daddy." "Thank you," I whisper, kissing his forehead.

"You were right." Dad breathes out. "We should go to where the pack was located. Maybe there are other survivors as well." He shakes his head. "It's been too long for someone to still be there. Whoever survived has most probably left the pack in search of a new home." "It's still worth a try. Please, dad. Do it for me! I'll be in charge of this operation. You won't have to lift a single finger." It's been too long since I've done it, but I might as well try. I give him my puppy dog eyes. He sighs, giving in. "Fine. But you're going to be very careful, and you'll take Chris with you." "Thank you daddy." I say, kissing his cheek and running off to find Chris.

"So, when are we doing it?" "I don't know." I shrug. "As soon as possible, I guess. I would have loved it if we went today, but dad will need time to gather a team to help us." Just like my dad, he's not pleased with me. He doesn't want me to put myself at risk, especially with Chase and the stalker still out there. I get it, don't get me wrong. But I can't hide in the castle until they're gone. It might take days, weeks, months, or years. It may not even happen! It's my duty as a future queen to look after my people. That's what I want to do now as well. I have to give it to him, though. He's against my actions and wants, but he's still supportive. "Promise me you'll stay by my side. You won't wander off." "Don't worry," I say, kissing him lightly on the lips. "I'll stay by your side till the day I die."

The next day "Be careful, okay? I don't want to lose you again." "Don't worry mum. I'll be back to raid the fridge and whole kitchen. You can't get rid of me that easily." "It's time." I kiss her cheek and follow after everyone, Chris and dad included. Yes, dad decided to tag along. He wanted to be here in case something might happen to me. It makes me feel more secure, to be honest. I'm terrified of what we may come across when we reach the pack. What if they're still there, and they ambush us?

"We're here." Ruins. Everything has been replaced with ruins of what used to be buildings. You'll have to use all your imagination to tell what used to be here. It's a depressing and soul-crushing sight. The only things that can give you hope are the tiny flowers blooming in the soft land. "Scattter and look for any survivors or a hint indicating who could be behind the attack." I partner up with Chris, and we walk around, eyes wide open for any sign. "How are you holding up?" That's a good question. A question to which I don't have an answer myself. "I don't know. I wish I did." At the thought of what these kids might have gone through, I want to vomit. It's something that no kid has to go through. And whoever puts them through this challenge is a filthy human being.

Walking around aimlessly, I spot a piece of cloth tied to a tree branch. I walk closer only to see it's from a blouse, a woman's blouse. I mindlink everyone to come. "What is that?" "It's a piece of cloth. Someone tied it there on purpose. Either to find their way back or to seek help." "There's another one!" One of the pack warriors points to another piece of cloth. It's is a different one. We follow spot more, and we follow the trail they're indicating to wherever it leads us. "Woah!" The sight in front of us gives us hope. Hope that their parents might be alive, and hopefully, they will be reunited again.

I'm sorry for not updating earlier! Life has been hectic, and I'm still trying to organize my schedule to fit everything

Thank you for giving my story a chance, and thank you even more for being patient with me.

I hope you're all safe and happy. I'll see you again in the next chapter. Hopefully, it will be soon!