Chapter Sixteen *Edited*

Strength grows in the moments 

when you think you can't go on but 

you keep going anyways. 

~Unknown

Chapter 16.

As the room falls silent, the sudden creak of a door draws our attention. Emma appears through the doorway, and her eyes light up when she sees the tall, muscular man in the room.

"Julian! You came!" she exclaims, rushing over to him with open arms.

At the mention of his name, my eyes dart towards him. Julian? It all makes sense now - his striking good looks, masculine physique, and piercing gaze. He has inherited their good looks.

His eyes flicker over me as he responds. "I promised you, didn't I?"

While they embrace each other, I feel like an intruder in this mother-and-son moment. That's until Emma pulls away and steps back. Her son, Julian, is still towering over me, and I feel small and insignificant in his presence as his eyes flicker to me.

Emma notices her son's distraction and follows his gaze to me sitting on the floor. "Sophia, are you okay?" she asks, concern etched on her face.

I nod mutely and try to answer, but my voice fails me. I clear my throat and try once again. "I...I'll go get some water!" I point to the hallway and swiftly escape, scurrying away from Julian's intense gaze. I can feel his eyes on me as I flee the hall, and my heart is pounding in my chest by the time I find refuge in the kitchen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I grab a water bottle from the fridge and a glass from the cabinet before plopping down on the countertop.

My mind is racing with thoughts. Did I get a second chance? Was Mum right? I can't wrap my head around it, and fear begins to creep in. What if he rejects me like Chase did? The thought of being rejected again is unbearable. However, when I think about it, his expression didn't seem unpleasant like Chase's. Instead, he looks intrigued. Maybe things will be different this time around.

I turn to my wolf, Astra, for advice. "What do you think, Astra? Will he reject us again?"

"I think you're overthinking it. You have a chance at love, so embrace it and let bygones be bygones. Besides, he's quite handsome! Did you see his arms?"

Astra is correct, but it's not easy when it feels like someone could rip it away in a heartbeat.

I should return before they start looking for me, but I don't know how to handle it. Our parents and siblings are in front. I don't know if I want them to know yet.