Chapter Twenty-Nine

You shall know the truth and the

truth shall make you mad.

~Aidous Huxley

"No way! Don't even think about it!" I answer dad without taking my eyes off of my book. "Do this for me, honey. Just this once and I won't bother you again." I can't believe how he managed to persuade dad into doing this. It's ridiculous! "Why don't you want to do it?" "Maybe because it's insane! Let alone risky! He's playing dirty, getting you to persuade me into doing what he desires." His parents appear to be kind people, but he looks like a complete maniac. I don't whether he's doing that for fun or has another ulterior motive, but whatever he has in mind, he should forget about it. "It was my idea." Dad blurts out. His idea? Why? "I've known him since he was a little boy. He's a man of few words, and he's not the man to claim something without solid proof. Besides, the witch assured me that no harm will come your way. "

"Do it." Astra urges in my head. "Not you too, Astra!" "What? You have nothing to fear. The last thing that could happen would be you prove them wrong." "I'll do it. But after that Chris will not approach me again and we won't discuss any of this ever again." He takes a step back due to surprise. It was easier, but that's because I don't like being challenged. Astra knows about it. That's why she decided to use it against me. "Thank you so much, sweetie." He whispers, kissing my temple. "Go before I change my mind." "I'll come to get you in the morning." He scurries off with no other word.

The next morning. I walk with dad to the training grounds where I spot Chris talking to a girl my age. She doesn't seem familiar, so I guess that's the witch they're talking about. They still haven't told me how these two witches ended up joining the pack. "Sophia, this is Karina." "Nice to meet you." I send her a smile while glancing at Chris, who's too busy checking me out. Remind me why I thought it would be ok to wear short shorts and a sports bra when I knew Chris would be here.

"Let's get started then. You stand here, and close your eyes." She instructs me. I do as I'm told, although I don't feel comfortable. I hear chattering and incoherent words and then darkness. I can't open my eyes, I can't speak, and I feel someone invading my thoughts and getting access to them without my approval. And just like that, everything's gone. I'm back at the training arena, about to collapse before Chris steps in and catches me. "Are you alright?" "Just peachy," I mutter sarcastically. In front of me, Karina also collapses into my father's arms. "Let's take them inside." He instructs, paving the way.

As soon as we make it to the office, we're given a glass of water each. "What did you find?" Chris asks. Karina glances at me briefly before looking down at the floor. Is that interesting? "Someone cast a spell over her. It's a strong one for sure." "What is it?" Nervousness creeps. Doubts fill my mind as I'm hanging on the words she'll say. "It's a mate spell. It's a magic spell that if given to a person it can create hallucinations, making him/her believe that someone else is his/her true mate."

That wasn't what I was expecting for sure. I could deny it and state that her allegations are false, but I know that now everything makes sense. I thought it was weird how quickly I could get over Chase and how easy it was for him to physically and mentally hurt me. He isn't my true mate. Wait, wait! That means that Chris was right all along! "But, how? When?" I mutter as I try to recall any moment I was given something that tasted weird. Maybe it was when I was admitted to the pack hospital after severe abuse! The pack doctor was kind, but Chase was still the Alpha, so he had no choice but to submit to his demands.

"It was injected into your system through an IV a few years back. I made sure to remove the spell. but it'll take a couple of days for you to feel the mate bond." How dare he? He made me believe he was my real mate! "I'll kill him!" Astra voices out loud angrily. "Let's not rush things." Dad tries to calm me down, but with no success. He doesn't understand! He doesn't know how it feels to be rejected by whom you thought was your true love! How it feels to believe the one chance you have in true love no longer exists! "We have to be smart about this. We need to gather as much dirt as we can on him before beating him to his own game." "What do you have in mind?" I ask my father, who is smirking evilly. "Karina, we're going to need your help." I wonder what he's planning. I hope whatever it is, it is worth whatever he's put me through.

That was a plot twist for sure, wasn't it? Chris is not her second-chance mate

That was a plot twist for sure, wasn't it? Chris is not her second-chance mate. He's her first true mate!

What do you think her dad's planning? Will Chase let everything unfold, or does he have an ace at his sleeve? Please, share your thoughts with me.

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you're staying safe and happy! I'll see you again in the next update, with more twists coming your way. Bye!