Heartbreaking loneliness

Azumane lays in bed with his phone in his hand. His thumb slides against the screen as he looks through his social media page. A notification pops up with a new post that Y/N's published on her story. His thumb hovers over her icon and he hesitates to see what she's been up to.

The last time he's seen her was the day she received materials for her project. The boss allowed her to work from home and he hasn't seen her since then. Neither have texted or called each other. Their friendship seems to drift apart and that thought alone causes Azumane to feel incredibly lonely.

He regrets ever asking her the question of her getting back together with Kuroo. That selfish inconsiderate question he should've kept to himself. Of course she would go back to Kuroo. Her heart didn't waver for Azumane's and he knows that.

Would he let his emotions interfere a ten year friendship?

He grumbles and places his phone on the nightstand. Resting one arm on his forehead, he stares up at the ceiling in the dark apartment studio. Memories of Y/N flash through his mind. The two have been through a lot together.

From pulling all nighter study sessions, working together on projects back in university and even at their current job, staying out to drink with clients for Y/N to only get stupidly drunk by mistake. Their late night drives. Sporadic vacation trips. Business trips. Long phone calls despite seeing each other moments ago. Birthday celebrations.

There's so many memories the two have created together. Happy ones and sad ones. Even a few arguments and temptation ones to sprinkle into the mix.

A month has passed since the two have spoken.

The longest time ever.

Azumane slowly reaches for his phone again. He gulps before tapping on her icon to watch her story. A short clip plays of the back view of Y/N holding a pie with candles and the shout of 'surprise'. The next clip is of Kozume blowing out the candles with a cheer in the background. Another post plays next. An image of Kozume, Y/N, and Kuroo showing off similar styled bracelets.

Watching these clips and seeing the photo stirs a tight clenching pain in Azumane's chest. He feels like he's already been replaced by her childhood friends. Hurt and frozen he lets the next few posts play automatically.

Kozume drinks a shot glass, his cheeks already flushed red. "ANOTHER ONE. YOU HAVE TO TAKE 28 SHOTS." The loud voice seems to belong to Kuroo. Y/N can be heard giggling and the video shakes slightly from her laughter. Kozume stares directly at her with narrowed eyes.

"Hey. What's so funny? You're taking a shot too Y/N. For every year you missed my birthday."

"Wait, what?"

Kozume smirks and snatches the phone away, turning it towards her.

"Oooo, I like that idea. Add ten more since you missed mine too." Kuroo is already pouring her a shot glass, extending it to her. She raises her hands up in defeat. "L-Let's not. I can't handle my alcohol well."