There might not be a next time

After eating lunch with the guys, you insist on washing the dishes since Kuroo and Kozume prepared the food. Without any objections they thank you before excusing themselves over to the balcony. Azumane helps dry the plates as you wash them.

"Are you sure you shouldn't head back to work? What about the projects you're helping Kimiko with?" You look over to Azumane who's focused on drying the plate in his hand. He pulls his attention away to gaze at your face.

"I'll head back in a bit. I'm more worried about you. You're not pretending to be calm in front of those two are you?" Azumane examines your every move. He waits to see a change in your facial expression and you look away in response. Your eyes stare at the dish you're washing with a sponge.

Pursing your lips, you sigh quietly. "I'm a little annoyed and angry." You pause to gather your thoughts together.

"To have thousands of people assume who I am and to go further to sabotage me by attempting to get me fired is fucked up. What if I was Kenma's girlfriend? The way they reacted to the news would be mortifying for anyone."

You furrow your brows together, aggressively scrubbing the empty plate. "Kenma should be free to date whoever he wants and they should respect his private life. But I guess it's much harder to accept that when they've grown attach to Kenma after X amount of months to years of support. In their eyes Kenma belongs to them and no one else."

Azumane notices Y/N's knuckles reddening from how tightly she clutches onto the plate. Before she causes further harm, Azumane extends his hand to grab the plate from her. "You're right. You should be annoyed and angry Y/N. I was getting worried with how calm and collected you were."

You scoff at Azumane, your furrowed brows relaxing as you smile at him. "What if I was genuinely calm about the whole situation?"

"Then, I would question how you're able to remain so calm." Azumane chuckles while he dries the plate with a hand towel. The conversation drops and you anticipate to start another topic. The one that you wanted to talk to him about last night.

With the dishes finished and the two of you drying your hands, you awkwardly clear your throat. Avoiding Azumane's eyes, you stare at the living room. "Should we have our conversation since you're here?"

Azumane trails his eyes past the living room and towards the balcony. Kozume and Kuroo seem to be in a deep conversation of their own. Pursing his lips, he nods his head and points over to the sofa. The two of you make your way over to the living room, which doesn't take long.

You sit cross legged, facing Azumane who does the same. You hold onto one of the pillows on the sofa. Azumane crinkles his nose, the two feeling the tense awkward air between you both.

"I missed you." Azumane weakly speaks up. His eyes nervously flick over to your surprised face.

You've heard this line before.

When you said the exact thing to Kuroo during your conversation. Hearing these words from someone else, especially Azumane, causes your heart to ache.

Azumane lowers his eyes back down to his lap. He clasps his hands together and squeezes them to ease his anxiety. "We've never really stopped talking for this long before. At first I didn't think much of it since I was focused on work. But as the days went by, your lack of presence became apparent." Azumane's tone is soft and delicate. You feel as if breathing would be too loud compared to his gentle voice.

"I could only distract myself with work for so many hours in the day. When I lay in bed, in the dark, alone in my thoughts...that's the worst time of the day." Azumane frowns. He clenches his teeth together and you notice his trembling shoulders.

While Azumane had these kinds of feelings, you were too focused on your own work to even think about him. You feel guilty for not feeling as strongly like Azumane. Kozume and Kuroo filled the hole that Azumane left. So you didn't bare too much pain.

"And when I saw how happy you were with those two last night..." Azumane's voice trembles and you notice the gloss in his eyes. He bites down on his lip, not wanting to continue his sentence.

You didn't take a second thought about how Azumane must've felt when you posted those images and videos.

Of course Azumane would watch your posts. For him, it may look like you easily replaced him with your old friends. He has every right to feel like that. Especially when the two of you distanced yourselves from one another.

In his point of view it must look like you've casted him aside to rekindle your friendship with Kozume and Kuroo. You can't imagine how much pain Azumane felt when he watched you smile and laugh with someone else. The fact that you and Azumane have been friends for ten years seemed easily forgotten by your careless actions.

"Asahi..." You call out his name to get his attention but he doesn't have the courage to look at you directly. He shakes his head in response.

"I'm glad you're catching up with your friends. I really am. Those two are a big part of your life, so who am I to tell you that you could only hang out with me. I just felt this unbearable loneliness last night. Words can't explain how sad I felt. But it made me realize one thing."

Azumane raises his head to look over to you. He tightens his jaw before parting his lips slightly to speak. "I'd rather bare the excruciating pain than to have our friendship fall apart. I'm keeping my promise to you. That I'll be by your side whenever you need it Y/N. I slipped up before but I'm not letting that happen again."

You place your small hands over top his trembling clasped ones. Giving his hands a firm squeeze, you stare into his brown eyes.

A frown deepens on his face when he feels your touch. "Because maybe next time I wouldn't get a chance to talk to you like this." His lips quiver and the tears he's held back slides down his cheeks. Your eyes widen at the sight.

You've only seen Azumane cry a handful of times and every time it surprises you. But this one hurts the most.

Because you're the reason for his tears.

You'll also be the reason for his broken heart when he sees you in love with someone else.

Enveloping Azumane in a hug, you hide your face in the nook of his neck. You can only chant out 'I'm sorry' over and over as he cries into your shoulder.