Your best friend

Your eyes narrow on the mans face. He seems to falter slightly with the familiarity of his voice slipping past your lips.

"Y/N." Kuroo softly says your name and you feel a cold sensation send chills down to your toes. Your heart reacts to your name being called out and you hate it for doing so. Feeling your legs weaken the longer you're under his gaze, you turn around to avoid his lurking hazel eyes.

You try to regain your strayed emotions. You managed to pretend you're okay around others this past week but seeing his, Kuroo's, face right now is breaking this fake appearance.

Kuroo keeps his distance. He watches Y/N close her eyes, her jaw clenching together and her breath seething between her teeth. She's trying her best to look strong but he knows her well. Even with the ten year gap, he's the closest one to her besides her family members. He knows her every emotion well.

He timidly raises a hand to rest on her shoulder but he stops himself halfway.

What right does he have to act so familiar with her?

"Y/N!" A panicked loud voice rings out from the front entrance of the gym. A tall gentleman with brown shoulder length hair calls out to her. He leans over on his knees, catching his breath. Y/N flutters her eyes open to see the owner of the voice. "Asahi?" She raises an eyebrow, hurrying over to meet up with him at the entrance.

Asahi ? Y/N is on a first name basis ?

Kuroo keeps his eyes trained at the gym entrance. The tall gentleman stands upright and it's much clearer to see their face.

That person is indeed Asahi Azumane.

Kuroo hardly recognizes him without his hair up in a bun. It seems like Azumane has ditched the hair ties completely and he's grown his hair out.

"He looks like a model." Kai mutters to Yaku. The two whispering behind Kuroo.

"Was he always handsome? I just remember him being gloomy every time we'd poke fun of him." Yaku adds in.

Kuroo notices how close Y/N and Azumane appear. She rests her hands on Azumane's arms, looking him over to see if he's alright.

"Are they dating?" Yaku mutters more loudly than he intends to and it catches Kuroo's ears. Kuroo turns slightly to eye Yaku from the corner of his eye. This makes Yaku tense up and awkwardly darting his eyes elsewhere.

"What are you doing here Azumane?" You slowly pull your hand back to your side after noticing nothing is wrong with Azumane himself. The way he called your name gave you a fright. He reaches into his pocket and raises a phone out to you. The phone looked exactly like yours.

That's when you put two and two together. You reach inside your purse to find that you don't have your phone with you. You must've left it at your desk when you left the office for the night.