A sign of growth

You feel uncomfortable the moment you sit inside Kuroo's car. It seems like everyone's attention is on you when they hear and see the corvette that you're sitting inside of.

"Do you...not have a regular car?" You mutter over to Kuroo who's not aware of all the attention he's receiving from the onlookers outside.

"Regular car? What's wrong with this one?" Kuroo takes off his sunglasses to look at you directly. You narrow your eyes on him.

"Do you not notice the attention you're getting from this car? I feel nervous from the stares." You sink lower into your seat which makes Kuroo chuckle. He shrugs and turns his attention back forward.

"I get used to it eventually. Just focus on Kenma's birthday gift. Do you have a general idea of what to get him or...?" Kuroo tries to distract your mind from the stares. You ponder on his question.

"I feel like I should make him something. The two of you make enough money to get whatever you want. So I feel like I shouldn't take a chance on purchasing something he might already have." You look over at Kuroo who nods his head.

"I'm sure your presence is already a gift he'd appreciate." Kuroo looks at you from the corner of his eye, a smile on his lips. You're quick to look away from him. A heat slowly creeping on your face from his words.

"I doubt it." You speak under your breath. "What are you getting him for his birthday Tetsurō?" You change the topic away from yourself and Kuroo shrugs.

"Probably an action figure or something along those lines. He wouldn't decline a gift like that. Even if he does happen to have the same model."

You nod your head, still pondering on what exactly to make for Kozume. An idea pops into your mind but you wonder if the idea is too childish. "Hey, could we go to an arts and crafts store?" You glance at Kuroo who looks at you curiously. He slows the car down at a red light.

"Sure. Figured out what to make him?" A smile forms on Kuroo's face when he sees the way Y/N's eyes light up.

"It's probably a bit childish but...I'm pretty sure Kenma would appreciate it more than most 28 year old's."

"What is it?"

You shyly tuck your hair behind your ear and whisper, "Don't laugh. I want to make him a bead bracelet with his name on it."

Kuroo purses his lips to stifle his laughter.

"Maybe I should make him an apple pie for his birthday too. That's still his favorite dessert, right?" You're engrossed on the thought of Kozume's present that you grow startled from the warm smile Kuroo wears. He hovers a hand over his mouth while he drives, trying his best to not laugh.

Your heart skips from his adorable expression. Snapping out of your thoughts, you furrow your brows. "Are you making fun of my gift idea?"

"I-I mean." Kuroo chokes between his laughter. "It's a cute gift idea. I'm sure he'll love it like you said. Let's throw him a surprise party too. I have access to his place."

You grow curious.

Does Kozume also live in a skyscraper building like Kuroo or does he live in a house?

"Where does Kenma live anyway?" You ask Kuroo who turns the corner of the street. He pulls up to a parking garage.

"Curious about his address now?" Kuroo smirks when he glances over to you. You hold back the eye roll and shrug. "I'm just wondering if he's living humbly or flashy like a certain someone." Kuroo snickers and searches for a parking spot.

"He lives more humbly than I do. He bought a house in the same neighborhood we all grew up in." Kuroo answers your question. He then reverses the car into a parking spot and turns the engine off. "It'll be hard to avoid our parents when we throw his surprise party. We should probably call them up in advance to let them know about it."

"Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure our parents would love a good reason to get together to drink alcohol and eat." Your chest warms at the thought of Kozume's birthday party. The two of you exit the car and make your way out of the parking garage and onto the street lined up with different storefronts.

Kuroo looks a bit conflicted when he walks beside Y/N in silence. He wears a look of wanting to say something but he's hesitating.

You can sense his troubles and decide to ask him about it. "Something on your mind Tetsurō?"

He looks surprised when you catch him off guard. His slender fingers scratch at his head. "About our conversation at the restaurant that one time..."

"About Asahi or about the talk we should have?" You slow your pace down to look at Kuroo. He stops on the side of the pathway to let others walk past.

"Both." Kuroo looks down at your face. "I'd like for us to sit down and talk about everything. I wouldn't feel settled if we casually hang out like this and ignore our past troubles. I'm ready to own up to all the pain I've put you through."

Hearing his strong devotion to sitting down and talking makes your heart waver. You find another proof of his growth over the years. It's pretty attractive when he's serious like this.

Cutting your thoughts off, you nod your head. "Alright. What about tonight? After we pick up Kenma's gifts we can talk at your place or at mine."

Kuroo brightens when you agree. He flashes a smile and the troubled expression he wore earlier disappears. "We can talk at mine. I want to share the beautiful sunset view with you. It's truly breathtaking."

"Okay. We should quickly do our shopping then." You form a small smile of your own. Kuroo practically sprints off to find an art store and you're forced to chase after him. "TETSURŌ, WE DON'T NEED TO RUN."

"YES WE DO!" Kuroo shouts out in front of you. Exhaling with a smile on your face, you pick up your pace to follow him. Thankfully, today you're in a pair of sneakers.