Forty Three

Harry Styles

Today is the big day. Christmas day. I'm normally not anticipating this holiday at all, or any of them for that matter. This year, though, I am. My gift for Ruby makes me nervous, my foot tapping on the floor and palms sweating throughout dinner.

My loft now is fully decorated for the event by her, the rest of our help only necessary when she needed an extra hand, which wasn't very often. She, like other women I know, is painfully independent. She loves to do everything on her own without even the smallest bit of help from others.

Now, a tree is up in my living room and decorated with different circular ornaments. Other small things are spread throughout the place, a wreath even being hung on my door.

Only for Ruby, I swear.

I pick at the food on my plate in nerves, unable to eat. We picked it up from a nearby restaurant, Niall and Liam choosing what items to get since Ruby and I know absolutely nothing about a Christmas dinner.

It all looks the same as what Americans eat on Thanksgiving, a day that up until this year I used as an excuse to see family and nothing else. I never celebrated considering the fact that I'm not from here. I had to this year, but that was my first time.

Once Niall finishes and stands up to throw away his scraps, I stand at the same time as him. I pour an almost full plate into the trash, looking at him in worry.

"Why are you freaking out? She's gonna love it." He shakes his head at me, whispering so she can't hear us.

"I don't know how to do gifts," I explain, "What if she doesn't accept it or something?"

"Well shit, I'll take it if she doesn't want it." He offers, being absolutely no help.

I roll my eyes and look away from him, walking to the couch. He follows me and sits down next to me, the two of us waiting for Liam and Ruby to finish eating.

"Do you know what she got me? It's not expensive or anything, right?"

"I was told to keep my mouth shut about it." He pretends to zip up his lips, locking them and throwing away the key.

"I hate you." I complain.

He simply shrugs, glancing over at the dining table and watching Ruby and Liam stand up, throwing away their things. Ruby then rushes upstairs to get whatever it is she got me. I clasp my hands together in my lap, taking a deep breath as Liam sits on the other couch.

When she bounds back back down the stairs with a small striped bag in her hands, Niall stands to give up his spot for her, going to sit next to Liam.

"You have to open yours first." She declares as she plops down next to me, shoving the bag into my lap.

I hold it in my hands and shake it around a little, not feeling anything heavy. I hear something moving around, but the sound isn't distinct enough for me to pick out what it is.

"This wasn't expensive, right?" I ask to clarify even though I made her answer that question in the store. I want to be sure.

"It wasn't expensive. Open it." She pushes me, slapping my shoulder a little in her own excitement.

I have no idea what it could be.

I pull out the thin decorative tissue paper, small dots covering the light surface of it. I'm assuming they're probably red and green, but I couldn't say for sure. Same thing with the bag. I sit the crinkled paper on the other side of me, Ruby's expectant smile making me laugh a bit.