Twenty Nine

Aubrey Hart

Jade came back today, which is perfect timing for tonight's events.

She's sifting through my closet with me as I catch her up on what she missed this past week. The entirety of Thanksgiving, meeting Niall, him asking me out, and everything in between. I leave out the whole coke ordeal and the sleeping with Harry thing, one not being my story to tell while the other is something I regret.

"Of all people, you're deciding to go on a date with Harry's friend?" She gives me a look once I finish my story.

"You've never met him, so don't judge. He's nice. My moms loved him," I gush, "He's an author, and I love books."

"Meant to be." She nods in sarcasm, an exaggerated dreamy tone to her voice.

"You should be happier about this." I frown.

"I don't know... I just don't trust a friend of Harry's."

"Says the one who's practically fuck buddies with Zayn." I roll my eyes.

"Zayn's different!" She defends herself.

"So is Niall!"

"Fine, fine. I'll pretend this guy is Zayn-like to allow myself to get excited," she pauses to clear her throat as if she's getting into character, "Oh my god! I'm so happy for you!"

I laugh and flip her off before picking out my outfit. I throw the hangers onto my bed, laying out a tight white Max Factor dress with strawberry print, a black leather jacket to put over it since it's chilly, and my black Doc Martens.

"Love it. Causal dress, but could pass as classy if need be." Jade gives her opinion.

"Okay, thank god." I breathe out.

I'm anxious about tonight. I haven't been on a real date in ages. I've just satisfied my needs hooking up with people when I felt like it and forgetting about them after. That's all I started to feel good at, really. Being asked out opened my eyes a little. Maybe I'm more than just a body to fuck. Maybe I can finally get what I've always read about in books and acted out in movies.

I quickly change into the outfit and fix my hair, her giving me a final thumbs up when I do a little spin to show it off. She sits on my large counter in my bathroom while I brush through my hair and do my usual natural makeup look, talking and talking about her crazy family Thanksgiving with her dad and brothers.

Once I'm ready, I check the time. It's almost six, but we never specified a time. He just said Saturday night. I feel weird texting him about it now since it's the day of. I'm sure he'll say something when he's on his way.

Jade and I sit down on my couch in the living room, Charlie running back and forth across the hardwood floor in front of us playing with nothing. I turn my head to look at her, wondering why she's still here.

"You don't have to stay. I'm sure he'll be here soon. We never set a time."

"I'll go out the back door all sneaky when he gets here. I wanna peek at him first." She refuses to leave.

"Okay."

I give in and rest my head in her lap, laying down on my back with my shoe-covered feet hanging over the arm of the couch. It feels wrong to have shoes on the piece of furniture, so I make sure I don't touch it with them. She looks down at me with a light smile and plays with my hair.

"Tell me more about him while we wait."

"Well... he's the complete opposite of Harry. He's nice, listens when I talk, and even smiles. I didn't realize just how negative and depressing Harry's energy was until I saw him next to a normal person." I explain.