Chapter 11-Sophie

Sophie didn't know which was weirder.

The fact that Keefe had willingly believed her with the prototype.

Well, she didn't actually know if it worked.

Dex hadn't really tested it on Alina yet.

Oops.

Or.....

That Sandor hadn't come, and it had gone far longer than fifteen minutes.

Grayd was probably holding him back.

Keefe's sigh brushed through her hair.

Sophie expected him to tell her that he could feel her guilt.

He didn't.

"How well does it work?" Sophie asked.

She felt his fingers tap into her back.

Then, softly, "I can only feel some of your emotions."

"Which ones?"

"The good ones."

Keefe pulled back slightly. Locked eyes with her. He smiled wearily at her and stepped back.

"So you'll come?" She asked.

The seconds ticked by.

"Yes."

Yes.

He said yes.

Keefe Sencen was coming home.

***

Sophie hadn't had a nightmare in a while. Ever since Silveny had been staying there, she had gotten good full nights of sleep—even when Keefe had been unconscious.

Unfortunately, Silveny was a full time momma now, so she couldn't transmit every night without exhausting herself.

So, Sophie had begun to have nightmares.

So many nightmares.

It was, however, kind of soothing to hear Keefe's soft inhales and exhales. He was on the floor, cocooned in several blankets and surrounded by the multiple pillows that Edaline had conjured after hugging the stunned boy. Almost as soon as she had turned off the lights, after Sandor and Bo made their thorough rounds about the room, he had passed out.

She focused on Keefe's steady breathing, hugged Ella closer to her chest and shut her eyes.

***

They were gaining on her. The dark figures, shrouded by shadows chased her. They seemed to float over the ground. No matter how quickly she teleported, they appeared right behind her.

Their ominous chanting, the whispering voices, never-ending.

She was against a tree.

The Panakes blossoms were dark purple in the gloomy mist. The figures slowed as they approached. One broke off, getting closer, closer, until he was right in front of her.

The familiar voice echoed around her, growing louder as he neared.

"Run, Foster!" Keefe screamed desperately at her, as the shadows wreathed around his neck, the black veins running up his face.

She couldn't run.

"Run!" He croaked.

She couldn't run.