Chapter 13-Keefe

It took Keefe a moment to realize Emery was talking to him. 

For once, he was speechless.

He finally put his words together. "Me?"

Emery nodded.

"Wouldn't.. wouldn't you want Fitz instead? Like he said, they're cognates, so..."

Emery shook his head. "If needed, we will add him, but we need an Empath."

Stina coughed. "Right here, you know."

"A second empath," He corrected himself, "fresh intuitions, I suppose."

He had joined the Neverseen.

His mom was a traitor herself.

His dad was... well, his dad was a jerk.

Keefe himself had literally just gotten back from leaving again.

So why would they ask him to join?

The answer came to him.

His new ability.

Emery was talking again. "Admittedly, it would also be handy to have someone with such a, rare, strange ability on the Team."

Keefe wondered if he had read his mind.

Probably not, just because Emery's ears would be bleeding from the quite colorful names Keefe was inventing for his mother.

"I'm not planning on using it," Keefe argued. "If my mom gave it to me, then it's bad. I already know it's super dangerous, so all in  all, this seems like a terrible idea."

Emery seemed slightly offended at the fact that Keefe hadn't just agreed with him.

Bronte, and Grady, surprisingly, both seemed to understand and almost sympathize with him.

"You may change your mind." Bronte said quietly.

"I doubt it."

"Nevertheless," Emery continued, "like I said before, it would be helpful to have a second Empath on the team."

"Look, I hate to say this, like, ever, but I joined the Neverseen when I was fourteen. My mom has been in it my whole life, and who knows with my dad. Why would you trust me?"

Alina rolled her eyes. "We don't. That's the whole point."

Emery glared at her briefly, before turning back to Keefe. "Talk it over. We'll wait."

Keefe looked around at his friends. He locked eyes with Sophie.

She got the message. Her voice filled his head.
"I know it's going to be hard first, especially with regaining everyone's trust, but I approve, honestly. Stina can be slightly... difficult, to work with sometimes."

"Can you ask everyone else how they feel about it?" He asked her.

"Yeah." There was a long pause.

"Majority's' in your favor." Sophie said.

"The majority?"

"Well, Stina didn't love the idea, but we convinced her."

"So you think I should?"

"I think you should do what you feel comfortable doing." She locked eyes with him. "Trust yourself, Keefe."

Maybe... maybe this could hold him down.

Hold him accountable.

He had never wanted to be part of the nobility, but then, he hadn't wanted this creepy ability.