Chapter 71-Sophie

She felt awareness flicker in her mind.

Then as if ice had melted in her head, she could hear Maruca's voice screaming in her brain. Sophie winced, but kept running.

"I hear you!"

Maruca was panicking. "Marella is trying to kill him!"

Sophie cursed under her breath. "Where are you guys?"

"Second level. Get here quickly!"

Sophie left Maruca's mind and motioned for Biana to follow her.

They listened for the sounds of angry voices and quickly found the others.

Smoke filled the air, surprisingly sweet smelling. Marella was outlined by her flames, hands outstretching as it collided with Maruca's forcefield. The room was tinted purple-blue, and Sophie squinted against the sparks flying from each side of them.

Maruca was protecting Fintan, she realized as she made out a figure standing huddled behind Maruca.

"Marella!"

Her petite friend made no show of hearing her, but her flames burned hotter, brighter. Sophie saw the forcefield straining, flickering and closing in on Maruca and Fintan.

Sophie gritted her teeth and inflicted, acutely aware of the red veins arcing from her body to Marella's and Biana's. Marella staggered as she was hit and her flames disappeared.

As soon as her fire disappeared, Maruca's forcefield fell and she collapsed to the ground, a sheen of sweat coating her forehead. Tips of her braids were singed, but Sophie's awareness dropped as her inflicting hit more people. Fintan dropped behind Maruca, narrowly missing her lithe body.

Sophie wrenched herself from her red haze and fell to her knees. Her friends and Fintan lay around, groaning as she shook herself. She stumbled to her feet, and approached Marella unsteadily.

"What were you thinking?" She said angrily. "You nearly killed them!"

Marella was dazed, and her eyes were unfocused. "He said something about my mom."

"So you tried to fry him?" Sophie snapped angrily. "You almost killed Maruca in the crossfire!"

"I wasn't thinking," Marella said softly. She looked small, the red flush gone from her cheeks. She looked over at Maruca who regarded them silently. "I'm sorry," she said quietly.

Maruca gave her a weak smile. "As long as you don't try to fry me again, we're all good."

Sophie sighed, all anger and stress brushing out of her in that one exhale. "C'mon." She reached out and helped Marella up and together they stepped over to where Fintan lay, still groaning in pain. Sophie scowled at him and nudged him with her toe carelessly. "Get up."

He rolled over to face them and glared.

Sophie glared back. "Get up or I'll make you."

He grumbled under his breath, but rolled over and stood, unsteadily.

Sophie slapped him.

He recoiled, a red mark already forming on his face.

"That's for," she shrugged, "well, everything."

Then she plunged into his mind.

***

The last time she had done this had not turned out well.

In fact, it had turned out horribly, but this time, Sophie wasn't scared. She was angry. This, she didn't hesitate to rummage around in his mind, not caring if she disturbed memories.