Chapter 65-Keefe

It was probably a bad idea to eat before they left, because when they landed at the small rocky outcropping after light leaping, Dex's stomach decided to empty all of its contents onto a large, random flowerpot forgotten at the entrance of the whirlpool.

Keefe suspected the owner of the pot would find the flowers dead in a day or so.

"Sorry," Dex slurred out, wiping whatever was on his face off with a sleeve. Keefe went to pat his shoulder, then thought better of it.

"You're good," Keefe said with a grimace as the smell reached his nose, even through the potent flowers.

Dex coughed. "I thought we were kidnapping Elwin?"

"Change of plans. First we're gonna give the rings to your family and Foster's family."

Dex nodded and said, "So. Do you have a plan?"

A furrow formed between Keefe's eyebrows, and he frowned, deep in thought.

"This is the most secure city." Keefe said slowly. "There's only this entrance, and I'll bet they have guards down there right now, waiting for unsuspecting elves to show up."

"Probably."

"We were unsuspecting. Now we're suspecting, but we still need to get in."

"Yep."

"Unfortunately, it doesn't help. Because suspecting won't help because they'll just knock us over the head."

"Basically."

"But—since we were unsuspecting, and now are suspecting, but they think we're unsuspecting, we have the element of surprise."

"True."

"That won't help us if they have ogres or goblins down there, though."

Dex squinted at him. "You don't have a plan do you?"

"Well, I'm not Sophie." Keefe winced. "But if we get captured, at least we'll get into the containment cells."

Dex continued, "So, basically, we're trying the element of suprise?"

Keefe nodded. "They'll never know what hit them."

Dex seemed less than enthusiastic about the idea, but he shrugged. "Alright. Let's get recaptured."

"More enthusiasm, Dexy," Keefe said, as Dex prepared to jump into the whirlpool.

His friend rolled his eyes. He stepped off the outcropping, and as he fell, his voice faded away. "Let's get recaptured!"

"That's the spirit," Keefe muttered.

He jumped.

Dex was already off the sponge when Keefe landed. His hands were in the air, and a grinning ogre held a spear to his back.

Keefe opened his mouth to speak, and Dex let out a hiss. The ogre pulled the spear back slightly.

"You're the one Alina said to watch for." He motioned Keefe forward. "No talking, or we'll gut your little friend."

"You'd be surprised how often those words are used to threaten me." Dex muttered.

The ogre scowled and jabbed his back again. Dex grunted.

As soon as Keefe stepped off the sponge, another ogre grabbed his arms and roughly bound his hands behind his back. Then he shoved a balled up piece of cloth and gagged him. "For good measure," he smirked.

***

"She'll be here to question you in about twenty," one of the ogres said conspiratorially. "So I'd get your story straight now, while you can."